Chapter Twenty One ~ Genjutsu

I stood in the arena, a smirk on my face as I view the thousands of people who'd travelled to watch the chunin exams.

The thousands of people about to witness my brilliance.

Naruto had already won his fight against Neji, something that had admittedly surprised me. Neji should have won: the only thing going for Naruto was his unwavering determination and how severely Neji underestimated him.

I glance down at the new proctor. Apparently, Hayate had been murdered during the one month preparatory period. It was interesting. Who would want to kill him? Maybe he heard or saw something that he shouldn't have. Maybe he betrayed someone. Maybe it was just bad luck.

Also, one of the genin, a ninja from the sound, had been found crushed to death as well.

There was only one person I knew of that could do that.

I glance at Gaara, excitement lighting in the pit of my stomach. I would make it through these fights, if only to fight him eventually.

"You better not lose to Sasuke," I breathe to myself, staring Gaara down, "I want to fight you."

Due to the death of Dosu, there was to be a change in who fought whom. I would now be fighting Kankuro.

Kankuro was also to be fighting Shino, two fights before mine. That would give me time to study his techniques, skills, and weaknesses.

Apparently Shikamaru had made it through to this round despite forfeiting to me because he won another fight during the prelims. Lucky guy.

"The match featuring Sasuke Uchiha and Gaara no Subaku will be postponed! We will no be moving on to the next match, Shino Aburame vs Kankuro no Subaku!" The proctor announced.

"I forfeit!" Kankuro immediately shouts.

I narrow my eyes. This was dangerous. I didn't want Kankuro to forfeit to me as well; I wanted everyone to see my power as I destroyed him.

I needed to fight him, to win, to know I was strong enough to withstand--

--breaking bones and missing fingers and my intestines hanging from my stomach--

I shake my head sharply, the memory falling away but leaving it's mark in the form of trembling hands.

Fucking Ibiki. Screwing with my head and torturing me and training me. I got stronger, yes, but at what cost?

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, grabbing the memory and throwing it into a dark pit at the edge of my mind. Anything I didn't want to remember, recall, or have haunt me again got thrown into the bottomless pit.

Ibiki had been able to torture me without holding back, because I couldn't die in a genjutsu. It had been...

Quite an experience.

I shake my head away and push away from the railing I'd been leaning against as the proctor announced the next match. I had to find Kankuro. Couldn't have him forfeiting on me as well, could I?

I travel over to where Kankuro was waiting, climbing the stairs unhurriedly. I lean against a pillar with my arms crossed as I study him closely, curious. Why would he want to forfeit? Did he not care about becoming a chunin?

Perhaps he was forfeiting this fight in order to hide his abilities and not be at a disadvantage for his fight against me. If that was the case, then I wouldn't have to worry about him forfeiting against me.

Only one way to find out.

I step out of the shadows, eyes locked onto Kankuro. When he sees me his eyes widen slightly before a slight smirk falls on his face.