Chapter Five ~ New Team

"Maybe it's best if you two go home," Harumi suggested gently. Tarou nodded tearfully, and Kaede didn't answer, staring at the ground.

"Let's go, Cashile," she beckoned. I nodded, turning away with her. I knew the image of Harumi and I walking away from them, leaving them behind, would be burned in Tarou and Kaede's mind forever.

Harumi paused outside of the door to the Hokage's office. "Wait here," she ordered, then slipped inside before I could even begin to protest that I deserved to be in a meeting that would decide my future.

The door opened 7 minutes and 32 seconds later, and Harumi walked out. "Alright Cashile, the Hokage requests your presence. Good luck kid.... Though I doubt you need it," she said, muttering to herself in the end. The only acknowledgement I gave her was a nod before walking up and knocking on the Hokage's door.

"Come in!" The old man called from inside. I stepped through the door, greeted by the familiar smell of the smoke from his pipe. "Cashile," he nodded.

"Third Hokage," I replied respectfully.

"Harumi has talked to me about your situation. As you are well aware, teams pass or fail together. And so far only 3 genin teams have passed their test."

My time was being wasted. I already knew these things. I thought this, but maintained my calm.

The third Hokage continued, "Your sensei seems to think you are special. She recognizes your ninja skills and her wish is that they don't go to waste. Now, Harumi is new at this and focusing on one genin would seem, in my eyes, inappropriate and too much of a responsibility. It is also not standard. Although, from what I hear, you are also not standard." He cracked a smile. "I have a team in mind that you could join, but I will need to talk to the sensei. If he is willing to take you, then you will join his team."

"Yes Hokage-sama," I murmured in agreement.

"The three sensei available for you are Kurenai Yuhi, with Hinata Hyuga, Kiba Inuzuka, and Shino Aburame. Asuma Sarutobi, with Ino Yamanaka, Shikamaru Nara, and Choji Akimichi. And Kakashi Hatake--"

"Kurenai is too young and inexperienced, Asuma already has a perfectly balanced team with tradition behind it, which leaves me with Kakashi." I flipped through my notebook and found what I was searching for. "Skilled, experienced, and former ANBU. Perfect for dealing with me," I muttered.

"There seems to be something else on your mind young one," The Hokage noted, observing me, "Normally you sit through all my talk."

"Yes..." I admitted.

"Well...?"

"I'm a genin now and I'll be earning money going on missions and everything. Will you allow me to buy my own apartment? The woman that runs the orphanage turns a blind eye to anything I do, and I can look after myself anyways. Please, let me get my own apartment," I pled, something I rarely do. And even now it wasn't sincere. I just thought that the Hokage would respond best to it.

"I don't know..." The Hokage said, hesitating. Finally he spoke again. "If the sensei I have in mind accepts you onto his team and you become a genin, then alright."

Bingo.

I bowed. "Thank you, Hokage-sama."

An ANBU appeared in front of the hokage. "Get Hatake Kakashi for me, please," the Hokage requested politely.

"Hai Hokage-sama!" The ANBU replied, disappearing. Within seconds there was a slow knock on the door, and the Hokage called for him to answer.

A man walked through, one hand in his pocket and the other holding a book, shoulders slumped in practiced apathy. I raised my eyebrow. How the mighty have fallen. Though if he'd retained even an inkling of his former skill he'd still be formidable.