Chapter 9 - No More

Dean’s POV

Back to the present

The teacher ordered everyone to grab a ball and fall in line when her sight set on me and Jim, “You two are the team captain of each team, now go pick your teammates!”

No one moved an inch even me and Jim, confused at what’s exactly is happening, when someone finally had the courage to ask. A boy raising his hand uttered, “Uh… teach, what exactly are we going to play?” she just put on a smirk and squeezed a ball with her two hands, “dodgeball!”

“Ok then, Dean, pick your first then Jim and vice-versa.”

Almost instantly my eyes met Mary’s. She wore a pokerfaced look, waiting for something to happen. My mouth was hesitating to say her name, when I felt a sudden chill over my shoulder. Surely it was the girl with the killer glare on the other side of the line making that cold feel, Caroline.

It’s like it’s written all over her face, “just try to pick her over me!” Well of course I pick her over you, you crazy retard. But I knew better than risk that, “I choose Caroline.”

Immediately Jim followed up, “Mine’s Mary of course.” He didn’t even bothered looking at me if I even cared he only let his eyes ooze out to Mary as she walked towards him with a bright smile.

 He opened his arms for Mary, as she placed herself under one of her arm. Lastly he finally gave me the look with an enormous smile on his face.

Is he doing this on purpose!? Making me feel this annoying thing!?

On the other hand, Caroline happily skipped over and grabbed my arm without a word.

Soon enough the whispering started again.

I didn’t care though.

My eyes were just set at the two love birds just beside me, as the team up continued.

Jim landed his hand on to Mary’s head and gave it a shake, making Mary’s hair a mess. She then started complaining how annoying he is as Jim just kept smiling and laughing away.

That should’ve been me.

When the teams were final, I couldn’t see anything but red balls flying back and forth everywhere.

 I wanted to check if Mary was alright, but the only thing I could see was people jumping, dodging and throwing any ball they see in sight, I could even see some hiding completely scared of the things.

Almost magically, the only ones left standing were me, Jim, Caroline, and Mary…

Caroline was already in her striking position, eyes only at the prize, or should I say prey?

On the other hand Mary was just standing there as calm as ever, same as Jim whose eyes were on each of the balls me and Caroline were holding.

Teach stood in the middle left holding her whistle checking if we were ready to go. She raised her right hand and blew the whistle hard enough to make it resonate in the now quiet gymnasium.

No one moved, not the crowd of audience, not the Teach, and neither of us four. All were still waiting for someone to make a move.

5… 4… 3… 2… 1…

Without hesitation, Caroline threw her ball straight to Mary.

This is bad… No one knew Caroline’s strength except me… sure Mary’s strong as well… but could she handle an equal force?

Everyone held their breathes, until a loud thud echoed the walls of the gym. I kept my eyes closed, not wanting to see the results, when people started to gasp, and cheers started to awake.

I slowly opened my eyes to see Mary holding a ball, stomach level, with her two hands.

She caught it?

Relief flooded trough me at the sight of Mary with her mocking face.

Mary made a pitcher pose just like in baseball games, “Nice try Caroline,now try this on for size!” she then threw the ball with a grunt.

Everything was like slow motion for me. The ball approached not more than an inch per second.

Caroline’s eyes were now calm like everything was fine while Mary’s was burning with fire.

This is way worse than bad! Mary’s actually serious! Then that means… !!!

I shot a look at Caroline, she was just standing there! She’s just staring at the damn ball like she’s actually waiting for it!

Move! You damn freak! Why won’t she move!?

Gaah! Curse this feeling of duty!

I felt the ball punching my stomach hard enough to make me fall back on to Caroline.

“Kyaaa!” She screamed.

My sight slowly got blurry. I can’t believe she’s stronger than I originally thought! In the end I fainted. Next thing I know I was already in the infirmary.

I saw Caroline on my right giving me a death glare. I let out a deep sigh and covered my eyes not wanting to see her crazy looking face.

I readied myself for the next blow, on me, Caroline’s nagging.

“What in hell were you thinking back there, you stupid worthless-“ “Oh would you just shut up and thank me already!?”

She made an even scarier face. Is there anything else going to add to my worst day ever?

“THANK YOU??? WHY, TELL ME WHY! SHOULD I THANK YOU!?”, “ARE YOU CRAZY OR WHAT!? IF YOU WERE THE ONE HIT BY MARY’S HIT, YOU WOULD’VE BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL BY NOW! I PROTECTED YOU, damn stupid crazy girl…”

Her eyes widened, she quickly covered her face, but I saw it. She blushed, “B-but! That was the way for me to get t-to my goal! S-so don’t call me stupid!” she stammered.

Oh how I wished I just stood there and let her be crushed by that ball than me right now.

“Why do you go that far? You can easily get your power sooner or later anyways!”

“It’s not power I actually want, I just need it, like you, to get revenge!” “Revenge on what!?”

NONE OF YOUR BUSSINESS!”

Everything is starting boil again, until finally the bubble popped.

I threw the blanket covering me right on her face and stomped my way out.

“Hey! Where do you think you’re going!?”

NONE OF YOUR BUSSINESS!”

 She fell silent, dumbfounded at her words being thrown back at her.

I didn’t care. I’ve had it with this spoiled brat!

I hunched my way out to wherever. The moment I took another step, I saw my shadow being over taken by a much, much bigger one.

I looked back seeing black wall like men holding a few bats and pipes ready to swing.

Shit… I’m done for.

_______________________________________________

It's short i know ... anyways it's originally like that ...

don't worry, the next chapter might be a little longer than this ... (might be) not sure

d'you guys still want chapter hints?