I Know I'm Bad | Complications and Farewells

“I have news.” I tried a distraction method. Distraction from my enraged hormones.The desire to grab him and kiss him.Just… distraction. “We’ve sold every single one of our tickets.”

       His eyes lit up the tiniest moment, still impassive. He’d figured out my distraction technique. “Really?”

           “Y-yes.” I stuttered. “We made twenty four grand. It’s a fortune. I’m so happy we could help out those orphans.”

          He let my distraction technique slide and smiled. “I’m glad you’re mollified.”

          “I’m glad too.”

         He led the way out. The hall was quiet and empty. The English wing had always been unpopulated – only now it felt more private and… intimate.

          “Mom and Dad are going to Greece on Saturday.” I said as we walked by.

          He frowned. “I didn’t know that.”

          “Well, they want us to send them to the airport. Are you free on that day?”

          He pouted. “Yeah, I could do Saturday.”

          And I couldn’t wait for Saturday. I’ve imagined a lot of scenarios that could happen after we send my parents off – maybe a stroll at the park, a lunch at a local café, or a movie. The thought and ideas made my heart stop, beat fast, and then repeat the whole process again. I couldn’t believe it’s another chance for us to have an actual date outdoor.

         Through the week, I was preoccupied by the whole preparation thing. The venue chosen was SAH’s football field – which was big enough for eight hundred people, a huge house of doom, a couple of game booths and candy booths, a built in stage for the band, a dancing space, and a photo booth.

        One thing bothered me. Damon had grown more taciturn than before. He wasn’t all snub but he wasn’t back to before either. I wasn’t over looking into it mainly because I didn’t have the luxury of time to dwell on another set of setbacks but also because we’ve discussed it before.

     The Night of All Hallows’ Eve Dance had come. My outfit was still lacking some accessories but I didn’t care. My rowdy mind was filled with questions as to why my boyfriend had augmented his distance with me.

        Was it because of my parents? Definitely not. My parents were fine with our relationship—and even support us with it; it almost seemed a little creepy. Was it because of last week’s intimidating incident or was it simply just me?

       I’ve decided it was overwhelming to play detective a little and analyze the matter but I knew it would hurt to actually admit the problem myself. Sometimes, the problem’s already before you, you don’t even notice.

         “Hey!” A shrill voice conjured. “Lou! Wait up!”

         Sam picked on her pace when I turned to see who my caller was.

        “Hey, what’s up?” Sam was rather jubilant today. “Where are you going? Why are you headed this way?”

         I took in my surroundings, unsure of what she was trying to point out which brings me to realize I had no idea where I was heading to.

          “Nowhere…” I said. “I mean… home. Walk me home?”

         She frowned, turning my body around the other direction. “I always walk you home. And your house is this way. What’s with you?”