thgie-ytnewt

Aerglo buries his face in the crook of Caelum's neck, taking in a deep shuddering breath as xe tries to calm down.

They wait in silence, Aerglo holding onto Caelum a bit tighter.

Caelum doesn't complain, he simply holds xem through the storm raging inside xem, warm hands running through soft hair.

And when the bell rings...

Once.

Twice.

Three times..

Caelum feels the first hot tear land on his skin.

Royal Canopus is dead.

Xe's gone.

Caelum can't help but swallow past the lump in his throat. He knows Aerglo is hurting. It's so unfair, so cruel to do this to xem.

Aerglo cries.

For a moment xe shows weakness and all Caelum can do is wrap his arms around xem, hold xem closer to his heart even as the baby kicks between them.

Aerglo cries, until xe can't.

Until xe feels numb.

A knock lands upon their door when the sun is long gone, but neither make a move to and eventually they leave.

"He was poisoned," Caelum whispers, "wasn't he?"

"Sey," Aerglo nods.

Caelum frowns, "that was meant for me..."

Aerglo doesn't answer but they both know.

"I'll find xem, the ones responsible," Aerglo promises.

Caelum sighs, pressing a kiss to Aerglo's warm forehead, "we're okay, we're safe."

•●•●•

Aerglo reluctantly accepts the role of Royal Sire, but this means more work, more planning and tactics. This means that Caelum and their baby are far from safe, especially when the traitor escaped to who knows where.

It also means there's instability between the realm with the shift in power, many questioning Aerglo simply because xe is mated to Caelum.

Xe doesn't let the comments get to xem and neither does Caelum.

Aerglo admires Caelum as he sleeps peacefully on his side, belly round and heavy with their baby, shirt stretched over the warm full mound.

"Stop staring," Caelum mumbles tiredly.

Aerglo smiles, hand resting on the nine-month bump. He's due any day now and Aerglo can't help but worry despite the excitement. Caelum feels the same.

"You are breathtaking," Aerglo whispers reverently.

The soft praises of love and adoration make Caelum blush, cheeks tinting red as he gives Aerglo a small smile.

"Are you coming back early?"

"The spies are returning and I have a meeting with the elders and generals. I'll try to come back soon," Aerglo explains.

Caelum sighs, "I know you're working hard, I know we're so close to ending this, but sleep, rest. Come back to me when you're tired and exhausted, it's not good to push yourself."

"Likewise, eno elttil ym," Aerglo nods, nuzzling his neck, "rest and take care of yourself."

Reluctantly, Aerglo slips out of bed and changes. Xe has taken xyr human form, refusing to change back and he's used to the sight of his mate, human or alien, xe hasn't changed.

Aerglo leaves without breakfast and finally Caelum can breathe.

His back aches, but he chalks it up to sleeping wrong. Except it gets worse and slightly unbearable as the hours drag on.

It's to the point where each new wave of pain leaves him breathless and panting.

But he keeps quiet.

He muffles his whines of pain and hides the grimace that follows.

He hides it until he can't, until his legs give up and warm liquid soaks through his leggings.

He stares in shock, heart racing.

It's... It's really happening.

He stands up on trembling legs and barely manages to reach the door, hand shaking so bad as as he yanks it open.

The guards posted startle in surprise, eyes widening when they take in the appearance of their Royal Bearer, pale and clammy.

"Get Dr. Vega," Caelum chokes out, "hurry."

The guards act fast.

One bolts in the direction of the medical wing while the other helps guide him to bed where the bedding is ripped off to expose white sheets.

"Thank you," Caelum gasps, practically writhing.

The alien looks a bit lost, a bit pale, and a bit terrified. Xe looks exactly like Caelum feels.

"I'm okay," he reassures, "we're okay, just go-"

He stops for a moment, breathing through a harsh contraction, "go tell Aerglo, go tell him he's about to be a dad."

The alien nods, hurrying out the room as soon as Dr. Vega steps through.

"Ready to meet your little one?" He asks.

There's only one answer Caelum can give, "yes."