Chapter 10 Nico

The prophecy was confusing as they usually are. What could be so special about stones? Are they gems, or is it something else? Are they just something that looks like stones? I don't get it, but I do know we'll be gone at least a week. I guess we'll see what happens.

Percy was relieved when he heard the end of the prophecy because it says they'll be fine. He was still worried of course, but not as much as before.

We packed up what supplies we'd need like nectar and ambrosia, then we mounted our Pegasuses. Percy rode Black Jack as always. Black Jack is a pure black Pegasus that Percy saved a few years ago, that now thinks he's Percy's personal Pegasus. Jess and I just rode normal white Pegasuses, but mine wasn't so happy with that. The Pegasuses typically avoid me at all costs because of my father. My scent isn't real attractive to them might I say. The first stop was Jess's mom's house to explain what was going on, and so that Jess could grab a few things, like her phone and her Kindle. Afterwords, we began heading west trying to guess what could be the Dragon's lair.

Jess had a feeling that she'd know it by sight, but we were skeptical after the first day ended. We decided to make camp in the woods wherever we were. Percy and I hadn't thought of bringing tents, or sleeping bags, so we were going to just sleep on the ground without cover.

"Man, do I feel stupid," Percy muttered as soon as we had landed in a clearing.

"Why?" Jessica asked him.

"I should have thought to bring sleeping bags."

"It'll be fine. How about you two go collect some wood for a fire," Jess suggested.

We did as we were asked, and when we got back to the clearing thee tents were set up in a triangular pattern around a small pit that had been dug.

"Good, your back," Jess said coming around one of the tents.

"How?" Percy and I exclaimed.

"I always like to be prepared. Put the wood over here so I can light it."

We did as we were told, and Jess pulled out a small Propane torch. The fire lit instantly, and I started thinking of the stories Percy had told me about how prepared Annabeth always was. I noticed Percy seemed to be thinking the same thing by the sad look in his eyes.

"We'll find her, Percy, I know we will," I said trying to cheer him up.

"Yeah," he whispered.

Jess passed out strips of Beef Jerky, and we sacrificed some to the flames. Then I offered to take first watch. Jessica handed me the torch saying, "In case of hydras."

After sitting alone for a while, I decided to check on the others. Percy was sleeping fitfully, and Jess was still sitting awake.

"Is something wrong, Jess?" I asked.

"No, I'm just thinking. Something about that prophecy feels familiar. Like I've heard it before or something."

"Maybe you have. Was there anything like this in any of Rick Riordan's books?"

"No, I know that. Wait I've got it."

"What?"

"A story I wrote not too long ago. I'm actually still working on it. It's called Demigod Life: New Kid. I'm writing it on Wattpad."

"Oh, cool. I guess."

"No, you don't get it. It's about this. This quest we're on. I prophecized it."

"So, if you keep writing that story...?"

"Then we'll know what's going to happen."

"Well then. Keep up the good work. I guess."

We said goodnight again, and Jess fell to sleep. An hour later her phone went off signaling the end of my sentry duty.