Chapter 13 Jessica

My questing companions seemed so amazed at my abilities. I guess maybe it's because my dad's Poseidon, and kids like Percy and I

aren't known for being knowledgeable.

"Why does it surprise you that I can do so many things?" I asked.

"It's not that, Jess," Nico stated. "I'm surprised at how much you remind me of a child of Athena rather than Poseidon. You're like Annabeth."

At that Percy couldn't stand it any longer, and dove into his tent crying. I couldn't let my brother stay like that, so I crawled in to comfort him. Percy was crouched on his sleeping bag holding a picture frame. I hadn't noticed that it had been in his bag.

"Percy," I whispered.

"Go away," he said weakly.

"No," I retorted. "Not till I'm sure you're okay."

"I'm fine, Jess," he stated crying.

I crawled over to Percy and hugged him. He cried on my shoulder, and I patted him on the back.

"It's okay, Percy," I soothingly whispered. "We'll find her. I know we will."

"Thanks," he sniffled.

"That's what siblings are for. We're there for each other."

"I'm okay now. Just give me a moment, and I'll be out."

I crawled back out, and ran smack into Nico.

"How's he doing?" Nico asked.

"He misses Annabeth. He'll be fine. Percy just needs some time alone."

"I've never seen him cry like that."

"Imagine we're together for nine years, and at that time I was whisked away from you."

"I guess I see where you're going with that," he replied. "Can I see those eggs we recovered?"

"Yeah, follow me."

I lead him over to my tent, and dove in. Nico followed, and I pulled out the two eggs. I was completely aware of his presence. Not just the normal, oh I see he's there kind of aware, but the, oh my gods there's a man in this tent with me kind of aware. I motioned him out of the tent, and I followed with the eggs.

"The clear one seemes to draw me to it. I don't understand why."

I handed him the clear egg, "The emerald one has the same affect on me."

We held the eggs for fifteen minutes when suddenly both of them began to crack. My dragon hatched first, and she was a beautiful emerald green dragon. She was just as I had always imagined my dragon would be. I felt a tingling on my right hand. It felt like a fire raced along my palm as a silver oval appeared there. The mark of a Dragon Rider.

An unusual feeling tugged at my mind like a curious sweep looking to find who I am. I realized that it was another mind trying to understand the person it was linked to. I reached out to that mind, and was amazed by it's depth. It was like a sea of emotions. After a minute of the link, the second mind, which I had decided belonged to my dragon, was able to communicate with me, but it was like a baby speaking for the first time.

'What? What is my name?' the dragon asked.

I had dreamed of this day, and I knew what name I wanted, "Gem."

'I like it," was her reply.