Chapter 3 Jessica

Dad's know nothing.

I got home from school, and rushed to my dad to ask if I could go out with Nico on Friday. He said no, but Lorie, my dad's wife, happened to be in the room, and yelled at him for saying no. I love having Lorie around. When she reminded him that I haven't been out on a date ever, he gave in. Since Nico had given me his phone number, I called him to tell him the good news.

"Nico, he said yes. Well after some prodding from Lorie, but he said I can go. I can't wait till Friday."

"Neither can I, Jess. Neither can I."

The next three days took forever to pass. In class all we did were the basic crap we go through every year. The typical review of everything from eighth grade up till tenth. It's so boring. Why do we have to go through this crap over and over again. I learned it once don't screw up what I already know.

So that was basically all we did that week. Nothing noteworthy.

Now the date was something else. As soon as I had finished my chores and homework, I went to deciding what to wear. I had picked out a different outfit for tonight. I still couldn't figure out what I wanted to wear. I tried my black long skirt with my pink shirt that had a silvery rose on it; I felt that was too fancy. I then thought of wearing my nice jeans and my plain black shirt with a red lacy top. I didn't like that one either. Nothing I owned seemed right. I eventually just settled for my pink rose shirt and a pair of jeans, not my carpenter's jeans. I put my Poseidon and Hades necklaces in my purse because my dad says they're stupid, that I shouldn't wear them. I pulled my hair back so that part was in a pony tail and part hanging loose. I put in my Hershey's kiss earrings, and then I cleaned off the makeup I had put on for school, and I reapplied it in a little more date worthy manner. I didn't feal ready, but I was as close as I was getting. I still felt ugly, but I was going to have to get over it.

Nico pulled up at 5:30, just as he had promised. He drove a black Ford Mustang. It was an older model very likely from the used lot, but pretty cool. My dad and I were waiting outside. Nico's outfit was his typical all black except for the T-shirt which was white. There were no dawn of the dead slogans on it for which I was glad because my dad would have told him to turn around right there and go home. My dad did the usual dad speech of "You hurt my little girl, and I'll..." You know that stuff and the "She better be back by 7:30, no later." Can't dads just learn to come up with new speeches. Like maybe let me stay out till ten.

After dad was fully satisfied that Nico was scared shitless of him, we were allowed to leave. Nico had set up reservations for six o'clock at Olive Garden, so we waited a bit before we could take our seats. We waited in the car. I decided to start a conversation.

"So," I began. "What's your dad like."

"I don't see him much. I stay with the guardian he chose for me."

"Oh, what about your mom?"

"She died when I was little. I don't remember her. Dad says my sister Bianca looked a lot like her though. Bianca died in a freak accident six years ago. Ever since I've either been at camp, or with Alecto."

"Alecto? Like the eldest of the three Furies in Greek Mythology?"

"You really know a lot about Greek Mythology. How?"

"I read the Percy Jackson books. Their my favorite series. Haven't you ever read them?"

"No, I was forbidden to. My cousin said I couldn't read them, so my dad followed through with it. I don't know why."

"I don't know. Sometimes I think that they're a prophecy about to happen. Maybe you're one of the ones who will partake in it."

"Maybe, or maybe my cousin thinks I'll get too into them."

"I don't know. You remind me of one of the characters."

"Oh, which one?"

"His name is Nico di Angelo and his father is Hades. His description is exactly like you including clothes."

"Cool. Maybe he is me in the future."

"I don't know. In the books he's only ten to twelve. He's my favorite character. That's why Aphrodite would have something to do with our schedules. She would know I'd be attracted to you."

"So it wasn't my imagination in English the other day. You were looking at me."

"Yeah, sorry if it creeped you out. It's almost six we should head in."

We walked in and sure enough our table was ready. I had a Chicken and Gnocchi soup and a Coke. Nico chose Spaghetti with a Coke. A simple meal, but good. While eating we finished our earlier conversation.

"Okay, so you don't see your dad much, but you must know something about him. Right?"

"He's oppressive, and he hates his brothers. Hell he forced my stepmother to marry him. What about your dad? What's he like?"

"My dad is a lazy bum. He tells Lorie that he'll get something fixed, and he never does. All he does is lay around on his bed watching TV. Oh, yeah, and he yells just to hear his own oiphoing voice. Oh, and he's very vlakas."

"You can speak Ancient Greek!?"

"Only a little. Just those two words which actually I don't think Oiphoing is correct. I just know Oipho, and make it so I can use it for more than just certain situations. As for vlakas, well I learned that from the Percy Jackson books."

"I see. Well Annabeth likes to call people Vlakas a lot, so I know that word."

"Is this Annabeth person's last name Chase?"

"No, it's Jackson. She's married to my best friend Percy."

"I think you just blew your cover then Nico."

"What do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean. Aphrodite finally listened to me. She brought Nico di Angelo son of Hades into my life. You're a demigod!" I quietly exclaimed.

"And how, pray tell, did you come to this conclusion?"

"Well I suspected at first because of your name and appearance, then when you described your father, I just had a gut feeling saying it was Hades. But the biggest reveal of all was Annabeth and Percy. Annabeth Jackson wife to your best friend Percy. That sealed my case. You are exactly who I hoped you were. And your little brother my friend keeps telling me about. He's actually your twin isn't he? The Lotus Hotel can practically stop aging, so if Rico was accidentally he could be younger than you now."

"You are the most perceptive person I've ever met. Yes what you say is true, and as for Annabeth, her maiden name is Chase."

"I knew it. Are you here to also tell me I'm a demigod? Oh please be here for that."

"I was told to watch out for prospective demigods, and I think you may be one, but I'm not as good at rooting out demigods as Sayters are."

"I wonder which of my parents isn't who I've been told they are. I hope it's dad because I can't stand him. Plus I wish Percy was my brother."