A Screeching Halt

Geoff assisted Adela in getting off his motorcycle. She had to sit sideways dahil nakabestida nga ito at medyo nangalay sa byahe. Geoff took off her helmet and placed it under the seat of his bike. He reached for her hand and kissed the back of it.

"Okay ka lang, babe?" he asked her while his free hand fixed her hair.

"Okay lang ako."

"Ang lamig ng kamay mo. Nilalamig ka ba?" he fixed his blazer that she was now wearing over her dress.

"Gawa lang siguro yan nung byahe. Mahangin, alam mo na..."

"Pasok na tayo sa loob?" he motioned towards Derek's house with his head.

"Teka," she squeezed the hand that was holding hers.

"Bakit?"

"Congrats nga pala ulit," she touched the 'Prom King' sash that was still slung across his body. "Deserving ka sa title na to. Ikaw ang pinakagwapo doon kanina."

"Sana ikaw yung naging prom queen ko," he put his hands over the ones playing with the sash.

"Okay lang yun. Alam naman nating pareho na hindi ako popular. At alam naman nating lahat na si Katrina ang mananalo," she laughed softly.

"For me, you're still the queen."

"Geoff, I'm sorry ha. Sorry."

"For what?"

"Okay lang ba na hindi na tayo makiparty? Sorry kung killjoy ako...I know, napakaboring ko, pero ayoko lang sana sa maingay..."

"I'd go anywhere with you," he told her seriously. "Saan mo gustong pumunta?"

"We can stay...gusto ko lang sana sa isang tahimik na lugar...para makapagusap na rin tayo."

"Baby..." he said nervously. He didn't want another farewell speech from her.

It was as if she could read his mind because she suddenly lunged up and gave him a soft peck on the lips. Her lips barely touched his, but it sent electricity up and down his spine. He wanted to cry dahil hinalikan sya ng girlfriend nya. Corny man para sa ibang tao, but when you've been put through the wringer like he had, any show of love and care from Adela, no matter how small, ay malaking bagay na para sa kanya.

"I want to be with you," she whispered into his ear.

"Sige, dun tayo sa isa sa mga guest rooms sa taas."

He kissed to top of her head before leading her into the house and upstairs into one of the spare guest rooms. Adela went in the room first and wrung her hands together. Geoff closed the door and took a seat on the edge of the bed. He stared at Adela who just stood there staring back at him. She looked at his face as if she was memorizing every detail. She walked up to him and reached for his sash to take it off.

"Babe?" She didn't respond and just gave him a small smile. She walked behind him and kneeled on the mattress behind him. She then covered his eyes with the sash. Natawa na lang si Geoff kasi hindi nya alam kung ano ang naisip na laro ng kanyang girlfriend. "Babe, ano to?"

"Do you trust me?" she asked quietly.

"I do," he said without hesitation.

"Stay here," she commanded.

He felt her weight move off the bed and heard her quietly moving about the room. He waited patiently; he wasn't sure what was happening, but he didn't want to question her.

"Ada? Baby?" Geoff asked when he heard a shuffling on the floor. He was about to take off his blindfold when he felt Adela stop him.

"Don't take it off," she whispered to him.