Chapter 10

"What film are we watching?" I asked Phoenix. He held my hand as he tugged me forward. 

"Didn't say." He shrugged. So as it seems i didn't miss much from the board. Clearly it was more vague than the butler in a horror movie. Sadly it seemed to be equally as creepy. I had no clue whether to expect Hugh Grant or Bruce Willis, action or romance, blockbuster or a small independent film id never so much as heard of. 

The room was full of several rows of chairs. The room was rather full. We were cutting it a little close. The movie started at 6:30 and it was now 6:27. We really need to get better time keeping. The room was lit dimly so I could only see the shadows and outlines of what was in front of me- at least 50% of which was Phoenix's back. His t-shirt fitted him perfectly, stretching across his back, leaving little information about his physical to the imagination but at the same time it wasn't too tight. He looked good. 

 Phoenix led us into the third row. Third row was usually how far i sat. I had a strong hatred of the back row, simply because of the connotations of it. The back row was where everyone went to get handsy and- no, just no. At least in the third row i always avoided a reputation that was beyond adequate for supplying my mother with a heart attack and I didn't get a neck cramp from staring up at the screen at an angle, impossible to be comfortable. 

I sat debating whether it would be wrong of me to let go of Phoenix's hand. I turned around to ask Aria what the hell i was  supposed to do other than pray the earth would swallow me whole. Maybe they would let me skip out on the rite of passage if i was no longer alive.... then again maybe not. Much to my surprise Aria wasn't beside me. On our way to our seats i failed to notice there being only one chair on my left. Aria ,being the new and improved version of herself where she can hardly bare the pain of leaving Kevin's side, had gone and sat with him at the end of the row behind us. They were laughing but their good time was quickly cut short when the already faint light that was struggling to illuminate the room died out leaving us in darkness. I heard a few tiny clicks and a projector attached to the ceiling whirred to life. No one spoke, no one would. We were all in suspense about what the film might be. Personally i was hoping for something light hearted , not a chick flick, not a horror. Maybe Pirates of the Caribbean? That would go down well with me.

 That's not what it was. 

I recognized the first person. I hadn't seen them in the movies or on TV. I'd seen them around school last year. The camera wobbled due to the questionable capability of the teen on camera duty. first there was a girl doused in a bucket of god knows what- it certainly wasn't water judging by the colour of it. Next the picture was blurry but i could hear it was a male by his friends shouting to check Lyle out. He was a tanned blur with no signs of clothing as far as i could make out. He took off running towards the lake the camera stopped but he continued to run followed by a few others i saw negin to strip off. 

A few new scenes passed of make out sessions, stripping, tears and emotional torture before i managed to for out a few limited words. "What is this?" I asked Phoenix. Despite my disgust i couldn't look away. Those people in the video went to our school. I knew them. One of my cousins were in the year above, for Christ sake! He didn't tell me anything about this event and certainly not what he had to do one year ago when it was his turn to go through all this. I saw Phoenix in the corner of my eye shake his head but he too seemed to find it impossible to draw his attention in any other direction. I gulped as I followed everything going on in the film.

As though the thought of him crossing my mind was a party invitation with Kim Kardashian he appeared on screen. It was a side angle but i couldn't make out the girls face. She was straddling my cousin, Joe. His hands roamed up and down her sides. I practically watched them having dry sex on screen. Then the scene cut. Whoever was holding the camera stifled a laugh as they opened a door. It led to a bedroom. There was a blonde girl wrapped in sheets, her face buried deep in her pillow. Her bare shoulders were on show. It didn't take much imagination to figure what had went on the night before. The camera turned and i saw Joe with a white towel wrapped around his waist and wet hair. It was his bed. I noticed it when i made out the backpack peaking out from underneath the bed along with the t shirt that had been tossed onto the floor near the girls bra. I knew they were his, i bought them for his birthday two years ago. And another thing, the girl he was making out with was a brunette. He had two girls- one of them he had in a more literal sense. It was wild. 

"Turn it off."I heard a voice scream. It didn't take Nancy drew to determine that the voice belonged to Kevin. I make out the shadow of someone approaching him. They were probably one of the seniors working the event. The senior spoke in hushed tones so we couldn't make out what they were telling kevin- something along the lines of 'Sit your ass back down'. Kevin was easily persuaded when he was mad. "Turn it off before i rip it out the roof." He threatened. We heard the poison drip from his tone. Several people in the surrounding seats shrunk down the hide from the attention Kevin was drawing. Aria tugged his shirt lightly to get his attention long enough to tell him to chill before he bursts an artery, and let me tell you, the only artery at risk of bursting belonged to the senor thinking it was a good idea to get in the was of Kevin. He had pretty strong morals for a guy so carefree in my eyes. 

"Turn it off." The lights flicked on nearly blinding the lot of us. There was a series of people hissing at the pain and sting caused to their eye sight but i was too held back by the new voice. Id seen him on screen mere moments ago. Turning my head to see i was right i couldn't distract myself from my heart trying to force its way through my chest and on to my lap. What a coincidence, he was wearing the shirt i got him.

-------

UNEDITED. (I haven't even had time to proof read it. Oops?)