Chapter 7

It wasn't until I reached the top of the nearest hill i realized how little i'd thought it through. Me, sitting there in wet swimwear and a dripping cardigan. I removed the cardigan because it was just making me feel colder when the wind blew. Maybe the top of a hill wasn't a good idea either. I tried to forget about everything but the quite just made my thoughts seem louder and there were too many thoughts to silence them. I groaned dropping back onto the grass. Why did i have to screw up this early? If only i knew what was on the stupid card id know if it was worth it, but i don't so i have to. 

I sat there for an hour, maybe more. I knew it was nearing lunch though because i was getting peckish. The weather stayed reasonably nice and sunny and warm enough to stop me catching my death. You couldn't hear the birds singing from here. The silence was almost deafening. I was a city girl without a doubt. Its where I've always lived and whilst i love nature and its beauty there was something about the lights that i loved more than anything in the world. The different colours and that there were so many others looking at them or turning them on and contributing to the perfect sight. Yeah, it was hard not to love. 

The quiet was tainted by the footsteps of someone coming closer. I quickly sat back up, readying myself to run like hell if i smelt the smallest hint of overpowering perfume and hairspray. Valentina would have to catch me. I would not surrender to that girl. She would stab me with a stiletto. In the eye. Thankfully for my eyesight this pursuer had dirty blond hair and blue eyes. Oh, and a dick. Instead of being found by Valentina, Phoenix found me instead. I was thankful it wasn't Valentina but at the same time i wasn't thrilled about Phoenix showing up. Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against the guy, i just really, really, really don't want to deal with reality. Phoenix had a plain white carrier bag in his right hand and a smile on his face. He didn't speak at first, just walked and sat next to me and began unpacking his bag. I didn't look at what he had with him. After a minute or two i had a can of diet coke held in front of me and took it with a small smile.

"Think of it as part of my apology" He said to me. I turned to him meeting his gaze but he quickly dropped his. My eye brows tugged together towards my forehead. What did i do? "I'm sorry for almost killing you." A smile creeped onto my face from the way he phrased it. I knew he wouldn't have killed me. Phoenix wasn't the only one there. I'm pretty sure someone would have jumped in, maybe even Ryder, had Phoenix not jumped in soon enough after me to fix his own mess. I know that in the long run its not funny and my rescue without Phoenix is a big what if but I'm alive, bottom line. Phoenix caught me at the edge of his eye line and soon he joined me. 

"It could have happened to anybody." I laughed not meaning what i was saying. I know I'm probably the only person in my entire school who cant swim and panics in water. Phoenix knew i wasn't serious and smiled a little wider. 

Phoenix was surprisingly easy to talk to. Honestly, i wasn't thrilled about needing to kiss him. I'm one of those people who feel that a kiss should mean something, not just be something you do. Its to show your affection or love towards someone. Its why i always give my family a kiss good night or even put an 'x' at the end of text messages. I always thought it was important and that id always value it. For Christ sake i didn't have my first kiss until a year ago. If that doesn't make a point i don't know what does. To tell you the truth, i don't think ill be okay when the time comes with Phoenix but he sure is making it easier and that help. Just by being with me for a few hours with some crisps and a can of diet coke was enough to ease my nerves but i still wasn't ready, plus there was no use in kissing him on a hill, it wouldn't count. 

"Wait, you set off the fire alarm?"

He chuckled. My sides ached from how much i was enjoying myself but it was the best kind of pain i could have. We had been talking about the last day of school. Our teachers let us go early because the fire bell went off and by the time they had done a sweep of the building to check if it was safe they let us go early.