Chapter 8

We stumbled into my room, both of us trying to make in through the door at once and failing to work our feet as we tried to avoid catastrophe. His hand still held mine which wasn't all that bad. He only seemed to be jogging most of the way because I'm unfit and cant run all that fast. We had matching smiles on our faces at outrunning Valentina and i was still gasping for breath between laughs. He looked rather proud of himself as he turned to me and i closed the door leaning every last pound of my weight on it. 

"I think were clear."I declared with a certain aura of James bond about the statement. On second thoughts i probably look a little more johnny English. I'm incapable of sounding cool, okay? Its not a choice! I was born this inadequate! Although the look on Phoenix's face didn't seem to agree. 

"One day and you've already got yourself a hit man."

"Hit woman." I corrected moving my bags in front of the door. That should hold her, given i don't have a lot of things but Valentina wouldn't risk breaking a nail so i say I've done a bang up job at running from my problems. Except, to run from one problem i ran with one of my other problems, holding problems hand no less.

"I think were safe up here."

"Don't count on it." I said pointing to the over organized row of shoes. The were in rainbow order. I don't even know the colours of the rainbow. On second thoughts they might just be very well laid out. I can't vouch for the rainbow thing. Her bed was still perfectly unslept in. 

"That's how you got the sunglasses."

"And the bounty on my head. There's one thing i don't quite understand; why are you still here?"

"The chance to run from Malibu barbie? Wouldn't miss it for the world." It was quite clear the he was joking but i found it hard to look at him. I thought this week was going to be so much harder and in a way it is still pretty tough. Regardless of how nice he is to me I'm still using him. I kept my eyes darting around the room, basically any direction i wouldn't see a phoenix watching me every second.

"Seriously though, we don't talk at school, were lucky i know your name and were not even the same social  standing. Why are you even talking to me?" All that was said in about 3 seconds- tops. God I'm such a guilty person. No one ever rob a bank with me, i think i might leave a sorry note and a dinner invite. I'm such a horrible person. I was drunk, i could have drawn a treasure map to where i buried my grandmas false teeth on that forfeit card. I don't know if that's a relief or embarrassing. Lets go with both. Both sounds good. I sound nervous, I'm nervous. Should i even go through with this? Why isn't he talking? I asked a question, was it a hard question? Oh no, I'm babbling. I need him to say something soon before i pass out, Too much mental conversation with myself. 

"You seem nice." Phoenix shrugged. Well that slowed the beating of my heart to a human pace. I'm not having a panic attack. Instead I'm being shocked back to normal. I'm nice? I'm not nice. I'm a liar. I'm still lying to him. I'm sitting here, on my bed, in an empty room, alone with him. Maybe i could tell him that hes my dare. Who would know other than us? I can tell him that i need to kiss him and i can kiss Ryder with less guilt. Everyone's happy. Unless the bedrooms are bugged, I might be paranoid but there's always a chance that I'm right. Who knows how far they went in making this summer the most hellish time of our lives.

"because that's what every girl wants to hear." I laughed.

"You're beautiful." He smiled

"That's very superficial." I scolded

"You're intelligent." He remarked

"What we know doesn't make us who we are."

"You have a great personality." He announced

A Daring Game of Secretsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें