Chapter 30

CHAPTER 30

So Atlas was a Nephilim...or was it just Nephilim, no "a"? Either way you said it, I didn't know what it was. Seeing my perplexed expression, Larson pulled me over to the farthest corner of the room. Even while attempting to enlighten me, he never took his eyes off Atlas, who remained bound by silver chains in the prison-like chair.

"Nephilim are the offspring of, let's say, when someone like Roland gets with someone like you..."

"What? A badass?" I mused. Larson didn't find my humor at a time like this funny.

"A human," he finally said. I shuddered at the thought. What girl in her right mind would sleep with a homicidal demon-creep like Roland?

Larson lowered his voice to a mere whisper, "For all we know, he has all of Roland's superhuman abilities and none of his weaknesses."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning we could be in big trouble. Atlas is half human, and half demon—neither are susceptible to silver. This wouldn't be an issue if I knew for a fact that he wasn't any stronger than the average mortal. But if Atlas was fortunate enough in the gene pool, and he got Daddy Roland's otherworldly strength, those restraints won't hold."

Ah. Well, crap. Larson was good, but what if Atlas was better? He had evaded us once. And, if Larson couldn't take him down, I sure as hell didn't stand a chance.

"What do we do?"

He didn't even bother to think about any solution other than, "You should leave. Go back upstairs and stay with Nathan."

Was Larson out of his mind? He should know me by now. No way was I leaving him down here alone.

"How about this?" I suggested, "I linger as far back as possible and you stay on your guard no matter what."

His face was tight and disproving as he continued to eye Atlas, but he didn't drag me from the room by my hair, so I guess that meant something.

"You really shouldn't be here," he said. "You could get hurt."

"Yeah," I said, then stated the obvious, "so could you."

Larson wasn't quick to give up, "You should go to Kelsey. She may need your protection if things go...poorly."

That was a low blow. I hadn't known Kelsey long, but I'd grown very protective of her. Sort of like a little sister. It took a lot for me to shake off the urge to go to her. "Kelsey will be fine. She has Nathan," I said trying to convince both Larson and myself.

Larson nodded. He was finally catching on that he wouldn't be able to get rid of me. His tone was grave, "Fine. However, if things should get out of control, get the hell out of here and find Nathan."

I smiled triumphantly, "Got it."

His words came through clenched teeth, "I'm serious, Viktoriya."

"I promise," I managed to sound sincere, but I mentally added to our contract, "as long as you don't need my help". I would never leave him behind in battle. Larson wouldn't like it, but he could bitch at me later for it...if we lived.

After we had things settled, Larson returned to his guarded position diagonal from Atlas. I, however, remained in the corner.

Larson stood confidently with a look that said he was all business, but he spoke in a mocking tone, "So how do we get a hold of Daddy Dearest?"

Atlas scoffed, "You don't. He'll get a hold of you." He looked at me as he said this, and a cold chill played along my spine.

Larson spoke with dry humor, "Ah, yes. And a fine job Roland has done, thus far. He has his slimy mutant son spewing empty threats. Oh, I am quivering with fear."