Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

I woke early the next morning and called my boss to tell him I was feeling better, and was ready to go back to work. He was thrilled, since he hadn’t been able to get anyone else to cover it. I had to keep myself from asking if he hadn’t been able to find a replacement for my weekend shifts either. It would have only made me feel more guilty. Being short staffed was never fun.

After hanging up with Danny, I packed my stuff—what clothes I had at Nathan’s—and proceeded to get ready. I took a shower in the guest bathroom, changed, and did my hair and make-up. I was relieved to find that the bruise on my face that I’d incurred from my one-on-one time with Larson was already healed. Good thing, too. I didn’t want to have to give Danny some lame excuse about how I’d walked into a door or something.

Once I was all finished freshening up, I collected my things, grabbed my car keys, and headed out. As I was walking down the stairs, Nathan called out from the kitchen.

“Breakfast is almost ready.”

I caught a whiff of the eggs and sausage he was cooking. The mouth-watering aroma made my stomach growl. “Thanks, but I think I’m going to have to skip it—I’ve gotta get home and wash my work clothes. I’ve got a four o’clock shift I need to make.”

Nathan poked his head out of the kitchen just as I bounded the last few steps and entered the living room. He eyed the suitcase at my side. “You’re taking your things?”

I didn’t know why, but his statement made me feel guilty, like I was abandoning him.

“Why?”

I stated the obvious, “Because…I’m going home.”

He disappeared back into the kitchen for a moment, before reemerging. He approached me, his eyes serious. “It is significantly safer for you to remain here, Viktoriya.”

“But my apartment is my home. All my things are there. Plus, it’s only a few blocks from my work—which is way more convenient than nearly an hour’s worth of driving,” I argued.

The fact that I was less likely to be cornered and killed by a demon here outweighed all of those things, but still. That disaster I called an apartment felt like home to me. It was quiet, familiar, and reassuring. Plus, I liked having my own space. Nathan’s house was luxurious, sure, but I was suffocating in testosterone.

“So, commute. It may be inconvenient—as you say—but it is a small price to pay for your well-being. You cannot beat your demons if you are dead.”

He had a point there. Granted, I could make the argument that spending more time on the freeway would increase my chances of an untimely death, but then I’d just be arguing for arguments sake.

“Stay,” he urged.

I didn’t answer right away—mostly, to build suspense, but also because the thought of living here with Nathan, for an undetermined amount of time, gave me pause. But damnit, I had to admit the nights I’d stayed here I’d gotten the best sleep of my life. No nightmares, or creepy shadows, or whispers from the dark corners of my room.  It was a pleasant reprieve from what I was used to.

“Fine,” I caved, setting down the suitcase. “But I still have to go home—my work clothes aren’t going to wash themselves. And I should probably bring some of my things over.”

He visibly relaxed. “Very well. Would you like for me to drive you?”

“Thanks, but I’m perfectly capable.”

He gave me a challenging, but teasing look. I rolled my eyes. “I’ll see you tonight,” I told him, heading for the front door.

“Be safe,” he called after me.