CHAPTER (27) TWENTY SEVEN

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, I think to myself, looking into the mirror in the S.H.I.E.L.D. bedroom. I have on a green tee shirt, because, why not? My black jacket warms my arms in the 47 degree weather. Tugging on my black riding boots, my hiking ones still too wet to wear comfortably, I walk out the door.

My hair is done up in a sleek ponytail. I'm not sure what's going to happen today, and I want my hair out of my face.

I walk out the front entrance, wondering how silly Fury would look if he dyed his overcoat and eye patch green.

I walk slowly, making sure any Chitauri that are watching me can see me. Reaching my first 'victim,' I tap their shoulder, and they whirl around.

"Excuse me, sir," I say sweetly. "But, I was hoping you could join go and convince many other civilians of Manhattan to march down the street to an underground safety zone." I pray the Chitauri watching me are low rank, with no understanding of English. "And, to pass on the message. It'd be a great help, because I'm very concerned about all of your guy's well being."

The man blinks, and his green eyes seem milky and gone. It's still a bit scary for me to get used to this look. He shakes his head yes, then sets off, his fedora hanging precariously on his head.

I'm sure the Chitauri will appreciate the marching. And, they'll think they're off finding Loki, wherever he is. I watch the man until he turns a corner, and I let out a sigh.

First one down. I have to continue on. Thank goodness Steve came up with a plan quickly. I spent the whole day, yesterday, getting self defense lessons from Natasha and Tony. We've all agreed it's probably not a good idea for me to be walking around with a gun.

Tightening my ponytail and fixing the earpiece Fury lent me, I cross the street to a woman listening to music.

Here we go, again.

--- --- ---

"It seems the Chitauri serve as a greater threat than Loki, at this time."

"Thanks, Jarvis," Tony says, his voice more firm from his Iron Man suit. He takes one step back, remembering how he defeated these aliens the first time.

It's not going to be that easy. Last time, they conveniently had a giant missile, meant for blowing up New York with. Of course, Tony directed it to the Chitauri Mother Ship, and the aliens all died phantom menace-style.

Thor spins Mjolnir, wondering how he's really back on Midgard. He assured everyone he came by the Bifrost, but something bigger, and more dangerous, whisked him away while he was unaware. Possibly dark magic was involved, but why would someone have to use that, when they could just go a much safer way?

He looks over at Tony. "Did Nikita follow the plan?"

"My guess is that she did. Look, they're starting to get here." He points off into the distance, where a trouping army of innocents can be seen. Jarvis zooms in, and Tony can see their eyes are milky, looking far off.

Thor looks uneasy, having so many people's lives at risk. As long as they aren't aware of what's going on, then no panic will ensue, and the chances of death are... slimmer than other circumstances.

He wonders if it's enough

"Shouldn't their portal be open by now?"

The moment Thor asked the question, something happens. A whole new experience, and Tony sucks in a breath.

The buildings of Manhattan are melting. Windows, and tons of cement, and the very road they stand on, it's all stripping away into dark, obsidian rock. Neither of them say a word. Tony just barely hears Thor say, "Thanos. I should've known."