CHAPTER (13) THIRTEEN

A whole day has passed, and I've called my mum, said hi to Grandpa through the phone, slept deeply, and unpacked all my things.

When I got all my stuff, Natalie and I decided to visit Max from across the hall to say good bye. We told her that we have a business meeting, and Natalie explained to Ms. Hartwright that she'll no longer be available to babysit, to which Max's mother had frowned to.

Clint was standing with us for a bit while we talked, but when he saw Max staring at him quizzically, he had excused himself to bring my boxes to the car.

"Hi." I hear, and I stuff my shirts in a drawer, close it, and whip around, my eyes finally resting on the face of Bruce Banner.

"Ah... Hey!"

After a minute of nothing, I motion for him to sit down on the chair, near where he's standing. He shakes his head.

"It's alright. I'm not staying long. Just wanted to see how you're holding up, with all this new information locked in."

I shrug. "In all honesty? I think I'm in denial. Just stick around, I'll freak at some point."

Nodding, he says, "Me too."

With a shocking revelation, I realize he must be Hulk. The Hulk, not the toys, or the kids, or even the adults who paint themselves green. Banner has glasses, dark, graying hair, and a kind, sweet-looking expression on his face. He's certainly not someone I would think of as a raging, green monster.

A small "Oh," escapes my lips, and my eyes widen, in protest with my mind. He just smiles though, and looks straight into my gaze. He doesn't seem like the type to be angry, ever.

"Are you, um, an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Like Barton and Rushman?"

He stares at me blankly, before replying, "Oh, yes! I mean, no. I meant yes, Clint and... Rushman are agents. I'm only kind of one," he fumbles.

"What does that mean?" He gives me a sheepish grin in apology, then thinks for a moment.

"I'm pretty much in the background. If they need me, I'm there. Being an agent isn't really my kind of thing. I don't even live here-- I mean, in New York. And, NY is the brain and soul of S.H.I.E.L.D. This is where the big, main things happen. Besides maybe DC, or LA..." he rambles.

I'm about to ask him where he's from, and if there's more S.H.I.E.L.D. buildings like this, but the other Avenger I met, Steve, walks in. He waves at the both of us.

"I hope I'm not interrupting any good conversation," he says.

I know Clint is Hawkeye, Bruce is Hulk, and Black Widow, I at least assume, is a woman. This leaves Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor. Judging by this guy's youth, and his lack of air-of-importance, I classify him as the Man Out of Time.

"Hi, I'm Nikki."

"Yes, and I'm Steve. If you hear Tony call me Mister Rogers, I advise you to ignore that." I crack a grin. If this Tony is the Tony--Anthony Stark--I wonder if all the rich people know the Avengers, too. Otherwise, maybe this Tony is just a maintence guy, to which I would wonder if all the people in this building know the six heroes personally.

"In fact, you'll probably be meeting him tonight," Steve says. He winces at his own train of thought, then says, "Sorry. I meant, if you want to." I smile. How very gentlemen-like. In my head, though, I think, This guy was born in the 1920's... or, so they say, at least.

"Oh, yeah! Sure!" I jump up to my feet quickly. He's so sweet, the last thing I want to do is make him feel bad.

Bruce smiles at me, smiles at Steve, and excuses himself. I suddenly feel very uncomfortable in the presence of this super soldier. After the war, he was all over the news. A waitress had been saved by him. Kids were brandishing patriotic shields. I saw very little, if not any, of Hawkeye and Black Widow fans on TV.