CHAPTER (1) ONE

"It's funny that when you're seemingly a god, people will judge you as invincible." The man speaking stops pacing and looks at his captive, beat down and tired looking.

Thor's head hangs as he looks into his hands. He isn't tied down-- not physically, at least. He doesn't need to be. Jane is dead. What's the point, now? Besides, Loki said almost the same thing to him so long ago, about the mortals' point of views. He doesn't want to think of his brother; not now.

"Wouldn't it be great to prove that wrong?" the man queries, smiling devilishly at his joke. Thor shivers. More Loki. His brother.

From within his safe office, and with Thor in a whole other room, he doesn't have to worry about his captive getting a rush of energy and choking him to death. He quite likes being alive, and Thor doesn't seem to want to do anything anyway.

He looks straight into the camera, staring intently at Thor and his blonde hair hanging sadly over his face like a curtain.

"Look at me!" he yells, losing patience. He's not exactly easy on the eyes, but the only thing he wants more than to retire is for him being the last person Thor ever sees; even though it would be through the large plasma TV in front of him.

On to the matter of retirement, 37 years seems a good time to stop this job. It's a tedious one, except when he gets to make a prisoner's life a living hell. He is ready to disappear.

"Just try," Thor says, mustering every ounce of calmness he can, "to kill me, and see who will stop you." The man laughs, hollow and reedy. It's an ugly laugh, and he likes it just for that reason. Whatever makes my captive cringe, that's what he says.

"No one even knows where you are! No one even knows who you are."

The Avengers Initiative act has been nearly six years ago, and according to the man, that's long enough for people to stop caring. "You've disowned yourself. You've removed yourself from your life here completely, as a choice. All of you walked away after Loki and his futile attempts at power. You mistakenly returned to Asgard without her. Jane is dead, Thor."

Something in the man's voice catches at the last line. He's always been awful at lying, and he hopes Thor doesn't catch it. Luckily for him, Thor is too weary. He just sits there in his prison room, staring at his hands as if he was the one who ended Jane's life. The truth is, the man has no idea where she is. He doesn't even know what color hair she has.

"I never got to see her again," Thor says to himself, a stray tear trekking down his dirty and cut cheek. He is in desperate need of a shower, but that is the least of his worries.

"Oh, such a pity party." Then, his laughter echoes off the walls once more. Even the man trembles a bit from the tone. "She probably never even loved you, anyway. Who wouldn't fall for a demigod? Get over yourself, Thor. How old are you? Twelve? You don't know love. You don't know affection."

Though he plays the tough, evil front, the man knows very well what it's like to lose a loved one. He isn't about to admit he has a broken heart, though. Don't all villains have a back story? It's life. He has to live with it, since no one else can. And his life happens to be why he's like this--

--a scheming idiot with no hopes or expectations for the future. He kills for the joy, like rednecks hunting. He's also the boss. Though, soon, he will be passing the torch on and he'll finally be able to leave.

Thor stays silent, perhaps reminiscing. Quietly, the man turns the camera off and walks away, thinking of taking a nice, long sleep for the first time in 35 hours.

--- --- ---

He trudges over to the next table, his ridiculous apron ties catching on one of the metal stools.