Chapter 44 Prelude to the end.

Alright here is a little extra surprise. I think i am getting a penchant for giving surprises like Sarah does haha. 

But jokes aside i wanted this chapter written and posted while i still had the writing bug, it wasn't easy but i got it out too. 

This sets the story up nicely for the final flourish. Lets hope i can wrap this all up to everyone's satisfaction. Stay tuned. 

Happy reading. 

Chapter 44: Prelude to the end

Sarah held her breath as the McLaughlin convoy rounded a bend in the dirt road and the fairgrounds finally came into full view.

She had caught the odd glimpse through a break in the trees for the last hour or so, but now she saw it all lay before her in all its glory and it truly was a revelation.

Sarah had not expected The fair to be so very large. 

An endless procession of colourful tents stretched out before her littering a gigantic field, numerous banners fluttered enticingly in the spring air. Countless hawkers were busy yelling and selling their wares, while a multitude of musicians played alien tunes that drifted up into the sky. And all while a boisterous crowd milled about, weaving through the stands and entertainers, having a jolly good time.  

Even from here, still some distance away, perched on Iain's horse, above the valley where the fair was, Sarah could almost taste the excitement permeating the air.

She looked back just a second, at the long line of McLaughlin's on their horses and carts behind her, and smiled. Enjoying the rapt, gaping expressions of her clansmen. 

None of the McLaughlin's had seen anything as large as this fair before, and she bet the lot of them were just as excited as she felt. 

The women especially, after all, they were the ones who had lead the insurrection to get them here in the first place. And now they could all finally enjoy the fruits of their labour Sarah decided. 

That was until she heard Iain open his big trap.

"Quinlan take Angus with ye, Go on down below first, make sure 'tis safe 'afore the rest of the clan can join ye"

So much for enjoying anything anytime soon, she thought, sighing.

Great, Sarah thought frustrated, another few hours kicking rocks, yipee.

All to get the go ahead from the almighty Laird of the McLaughlin's.

God the man was a nuisance, he watched everything like a goddamn owl. It seemed every twenty feet or so he had reason to be concerned, finding one obscure excuse after another to send some poor soul off into the wilderness to ensure there wasn't any trouble up ahead.

This journey, one that should have taken perhaps three days tops, had now consumed a good week.

What with Iain's constant designation of sentry duties added to the long days he had spent up in the village ensuring there were enough provisions and weapons.

They had to be the most fully armed revellers that had ever graced a fair in history Sarah thought mockingly.

It had taken a good week for everything to be just as his highness had wanted it before they had stepped one foot outside the village.