Chapter 26: Revelations, Part 2

PLZ VOTE AND COMMENT, I AM ESPECIALLY ANXIOUS TO HEAR WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS CHAPTER, I WANT TO KNOW IF I NAILED THE CHEMISTRY. PLEASE DONT KEEP ME WAITING TOO LONG FOR YOUR FEEDBACK:-)

HERE GOES NOTHING!!!!!

CHAPTER 26:

Iain felt weary as hell.

The last few hours had taken their toll. An angry fire still raged just beneath the surface but he had it under control.

He paused for a moment before opening the door to his bedchamber. He wanted to compose himself first. Iain ran his hands through his wet hair, a dip in the loch had freshened him up but it had done little to quell his sense of outrage.

He still found it hard to believe the audacity of the McArdle's, it seemed Hugh hadn't told him everything about the incursions. It was only after he had asked the men in the bailey that the true extent of the matter had revealed itself. In his absence the McArdle's had stolen several head of cattle; they had even shown the temerity to challenge him by grazing their animals on McLaughlin land.

'Twas an unforgivable insult, one they would pay dearly for on the morrow.

The McLaughlin warriors were all ready and raring to go, in just a few hours Iain would lead his men on the raid.

He would take ten animals for every one the McArdle's had dared to steal. That was how it went in his world, no one could afford to show the slightest weakness, 'twas kill or be killed.

Iain shook his head to dispel the dark thoughts; he didn't want Sarah to see him like this. He already felt guilty enough when it came to her, he didn't want to add to that commodity.

'Twas her first night in the Highlands, and Iain was aware of how hard that must be for her. Granted, she had more than enough spunk to counter any challenge, but she was just a woman after all.

One that was tying his insides into unbearable knots of tension.

If he had any brains at all he would open the door, march over to his bed and go straight off to sleep. It was past midnight, he was bone tired and he had spent the last five hours in the hall downstairs with Quinlan and Angus by his side, coming up with a strategum for the attack tomorrow.

But sleep was the farthest thing from his mind, the very thought of her a mere few feet away behind a closed door, stoked to life an uncomfortable yearning within him.

Other memories flashed in his head, memories he had battled hard to suppress, a battle he finally lost.

Iain sighed, Aye he wouldn't be getting much sleep tonight.

He opened the door slowly, making sure he did it quietly, hoping against hope that Sarah was still awake.

He knew he wouldn't disturb her if she wasn't.

But she wasn't asleep; she was standing by the fireplace staring into the fire, with her forearms crossed around her small waist and a thoughtful smile on her face. Iain felt warmth flood through him, she looked like she belonged, like she had always been a part of his life. He couldnt believe he had only known her but a week.

Gazing at her, wearing his colours, made his chest swell with pride. 

Her hair cascaded down her back in molten locks, hotter than the fire she was so busy looking into.

The room felt alive with the dim light from the candles, it was warm, perhaps a tad too warm Iain thought, pulling at the round collar of his shirt.