Chapter 42: The Fair

O.K here it is, hope you guys enjoy. Lots of comments please, I really need feedback!

Chapter 42:

The Fair, Part 1:

Iain surveyed his band of morose soldiers on the training field and he felt frustrated beyond belief.

He was sorely tempted to choke the life out of every last, sorry cur.

'Twas incomprehensible, how they acted. 

Despite several orders to pick up the pace the men still forged on in utter disarray. 

The older warriors among them, the married ones that is, showed a modicum more resolve, but they insisted on hacking at each other like maniacs, their anger evident, it made them clumsy and inefficient. While the younger, unmarried warriors in training wore lovelorn expressions upon their long faces and were as listless as weeds, completely useless.

Iain clenched the broad hilt of his sword in a white knuckled grip, finally deciding he had had enough of this shite. 

He made to rush the sorry lot of them. 

By God he would start with Angus first, that bearded old sot looked weepy as hell, 'twas making all the other idiots around him worse.

"Leave them be, lad," said Hugh, coming to stand beside him, "Haven't ye done enough damage,"

"Shut yer mouth Hugh," Iain growled, scowling, 

"Lest I shut it for ye,"

He added, still inflamed by the sight of his so called fearsome warriors moping around like legless chickens, 'Twas incongruous, and unseemly besides.

"Hmmfff" Hugh scoffed unconcerned, not in the least intimidated by the his Nephew's bluster. Iain had been swaggering around the village like an ornery bear with his foot caught in a trap, threatening and barking out orders at anyone addled enough to come within touching distance of him. And Hugh had come to the end of his tether with the foul tempered fool. He had had all he could take of this farcical showdown between husband and wife. The entire clan had been dragged into their mess, and Hugh was mighty sick of watching everyone walking around in a haze of misery just because Iain could not bring himself to concede the fight.

"Ye know, if ye would only just relent, everyone would be a lot happier,"

"I am warning ye Hugh, do not try to change ma mind, I told that stubborn wench and I am telling ye, we are not going to the fair, that be final!"

"Really," Hugh asked sourly, "So ye intend to sleep in your lonely bed until the next fair comes along, do ye? Some Laird ye be, dragging all them poor devils down with ye,"

Iain came to within an inch of shoving Hugh down to the ground onto his backside, familial loyalty be damned.

That he also felt embarrassed, ruddy colour mar his cheekbones made him furious.

"I am warning ye Hugh...."

"Oh do stop threatening me, Iain. Yer endless threats grow tiresome, lad. Almost as much as all this doom and gloom all around us. Yer only makin' things worse for yerself, ye know," Hugh said,  "And Yer makin' us all miserable too. Take a gander at the poor men there, see you the wretchedness ye 'ave wrought. And all because ye cannot grant yer lady wife but a simple boon,"