Chapter 38, A New Conquest!

Chapter 38

A New Conquest!

"Yer still sleeping?"

You know that feeling when you are lying in bed, all comfy and cozy, on a Sunday morning, when all you want to do is laze the day away and somehow forget the fact that you're still living in a tiny little studio apartment in Ealing while your friends are all off somewhere enjoying their lives, and then suddenly the wanker next door starts drilling into the wall to put up his flat screen T.V, not only waking you up from a sound sleep but pretty much driving a sledgehammer straight into your head at the same time, well that familiar feeling was nothing compared to the one Sarah was experiencing hearing Aga's high pitched voice, wailing right next to her ear.

She moaned and pulled the covers over her head, hoping against hope that the old woman would leave her alone. Alas it was not to be.

"Ye can nae hide under the pillow lassie, git on up naw. Tis unhealthy tae wile the day away in bed."

"Aga"

"Aye"

"Get out!"

Sarah turned on her side, away from the source of her aggravation, but it didn't help. She had to grit her teeth when she heard the annoying old crow cackle. Between her and Hugh Sarah was surprised she had made it this far. She could just about picture Aga standing right next to her with a smug, gap-toothed smile on that wrinkled mouth of hers, staring at her through perpetually squinty eyes.

Maybe if she lay very still and didn't say a word Aga would leave her alone Sarah told herself hopefully, it was worth a try, it worked with bears didn't it?

"Oy!" Sarah yelped a moment later when she felt a bony finger poke into the side of her thigh.

"Jes checkin' tae make sure yer still alive lassie,"

"Try that again and your life will be the one in question,"  

Sarah grumbled under her breath when the only response to her threat was a derisive snort emanating from her persistent tormenter. It was the human equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. To think she had spent most of last week lecturing the hag on personal boundaries, apparently it hadn't worked.

"Glad tae see thaer's still some spirit left in ye lassie, from the looks of this bedchamber, 'twould seem the Laird had knocked most of it out by naw,"

"Aga behave yourself,"

Sarah grimaced when she heard that feminine shriek of censure join the fray. God, did it always have to be a public gallery in her room every single morning? she wondered disgruntled. Guess she'd better get up and face her eager audience before they started quarrelling amongst themselves, really driving her up the wall.

Sarah opened her eyes, blinking several times to adjust to the light in the room, Megan bless her, had a habit of opening the shutters in her bedchamber every morning, and though Sarah appreciated it most days, sometimes it was annoying to wake up to a face full of sunlight blazing directly down from the small window overhead. Especially on days like today when she was all knackered out from a session of lovemaking that had lasted well into the morning.

That insatiable brute had ploughed her all night long (although to be fair she had been the one instigating most of the ploughing) and then he had had the gall to wake up before her too, probably right as rain, leaving her all alone to face the firing squad without him, typical.

"Well lassie," Aga asked, "Are ye gettin' up or nae?"

"Oh stuff it," Sarah said, shaking the last vestiges of sleep from her drowsy head.