DAMNIT CH17

The hot Suna sun beaming in the jewel-like sky, the usual crowds of people going on with their buisiness. I kept a tighter grip on Yuki, trying not to lose her in the market, I felt her tiny hand grab onto mine as we bought the food we would use to make our meal. She looked up at me nervously, taking in the world around her and watching the crowds of people. Her baby blues were wide in wonder, as she dragged me forward, I let her drag me to a couple of stalls, picking up a few things from each and putting them in my basket.

"Haruna-chan, are we done yet? she asked

I stopped inspecting the fruit at the stand, looked up and answered her by saying, "Why? Are you feeling sick?"

"No, I'm just bored. There's nothing to do here." she complained, pouting

"I'm almost done, then we can see if there's time to go to a playground or something. But we still need to drop the groceries at home, okay?" I said

Her face lifted at the prospect of acting like a child her age instead of the statue she's been forced to become, it had been a struggle to be able to do my job and take care of her. I've always left her with the Kazekage's sister when she was in town, but when I've had to leave her with another one of   the Kazekage's assistants; I usually ended up rushing the job and doing a sloppier job, meaning that I let myself get cornered more often that needed. But it was usually the look I got from Yuki when I came to get her, that kept me going. She knew that I'm doing a pretty crappy job of raising her, but I guess she also knows that she'd be freezing her arse off in some distant village if it weren't for me.

"And are you coming to my school tomorrow?" she asked hopefull, smiling hopefully at the end.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world hun." I answered, "Now let's go home." I said, taking her hand and leading her to our humble abode.

It was a small apartment I rented, with help from the money I earned by basically killing people and doing other jobs that nobody else could be bothered to do. Along with the old woman and the drunk who called us their neighbors, we called the absolute shit hole that we rented 'Home' in the loosest  term possible. But along with the other inhabitants, we were only glad that we had a roof over our heads, no matter how leaky, and working tolitries, no matter the smell it produced. But it was only by the saving grace and true pity of the current Kazekage that we were even living, the hidden privliges of being the Hound were literally hidden in the money I earned or in the paid education of my charge.

I unlocked the door and looked around my apartment, smelling the faint smell that neither of us could locate in the months we have inhabited the apartment. Yuki helped me unpack the groceries, chatting excitedly about her classmates and about going to the park, and hopeful words about seeing her friends at the park. I commented and smiled, showing her I was listening, but hoping that nothing would come up. Leading her out of the apartment, we walked to the nearest playground.

The sound of the playing children reached my ears as I saw it, Yuki tugged on  my hand, leading me to a bench, I sat down and watched her run off to meet with her friends. I saw her playing happily with them, some of the using the sloppily executed jutsu that they were just learning in the academy. Feeling someone sit on the opposite end of the bench, I turned away slightly and took out my book of sonnets, feeling the dog-earred and worn cover relaxed me, as I started reading. Every so often I would look up, checking that Yuki wa still okay. 

It was when I faintly heard a familiar voice, did I look up from my book, I turned my head quickly to see a familiar paint covered face. Clearing my throat I asked, "Pardon?"

"I said, 'Fancy still seeing you study to become a sister,'." he said

"It takes many years of learning and practice to become part of the First Sisterhood." I answered sarcastically

"Or did you just fail the entrance exam or ritual?" he asked, smirking

"Well, both. To some extent. It's complicated." I began, feeling a slight blush dance across my cheeks and nose. "It's actually a book of poetry, I guess you already know about everything since you're so high up now." 

"Sadly, yes. I even had to attend that trial." he muttered, his fingers dancing on the wood that made up the bench

"I guess things could be worse, I could be dead or working as a slave. Right?" I replied, folding my hands together on my lap. Letting my eyes wander, I saw Yuki being pushed on the swing by a boy that looked to be around her age. I watched her turn her head to say something to the boy, while he replied with a big grin. I smiled, feeling a kind of warmth that I haven't experienced in a long time.

I turned to look at the idiot, "You've never introduced yourself properly." I smirked, watching him turn back to me, his eyes wide

"Kankuro, no Sabaku Kankuro. Nice to meet you." he announced holding out a hand.

"Haruna, Hamasaki Haruna, and the pleasure is all mine." I said, taking his hand and shaking it roughly

"So, how've you been? Whatcha been up to?" he asked

"I'm raising a kid, murdering criminals, the usual." I explained

"Which one's yours?" he asked

"The blonde one on the swings,I guess she takes after her father more than she does of me." I explained, watching his expression

"You're already married?" he asked sarcastically, picking up one of my hands, "Or was she just a mistake?"

"Nice one." I snickered, pulling my hand away, "She's my adopted sister." I explained, "And I should be going, it's getting late and we haven't eaten yet." I said, standing up and walking away,"Goodbye!" I called to him over my shoulder.

I walked over Yuki who was now swinging alone, she smiled up at me and said, "Who was that man you were talking to?" when she finished she jumped off the swing and landed on her feet, grabbing my hand, she looked up at me as we started walking.

"An old friend of mine, nothing to worry about." I reassured her, leading her home, knowing that something was going to happen, a weight in my heart that appeared that moment, weighing me down.