DAMNIT CH13

Sorry again for not uploading, its around the end of term for me, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to upload quicker when I have less things to worry about. And even hopefully, I might even be able to finish the story sometime this summer if I can average a chapter every two days. I just have to say to all of you that have been suffering through this story with me, that it means a lot of things to me when you write feedback on what I've written because it makes me a better writer which makes for a better story.

Comment

Vote

Like

Through Fire Justice Is Served 69

*****{}*****

"Watch out!" I yelled to one of my comrades, "Duck!"

He got onto his knees as I severed the head of a puppet looming behind him. I lowered my shortsword, "Are you okay?" I asked gruffly

"Good as I can be in this situation." he answered

"Keep your head up, listen for those behind you. There won't be someone to save you everytime you go into battle." I replied coldly, helping him up.

"I know, I'm not usually like this." he said, dusting himself off

"That's what war does to us, we go in one person, and come out as another." I explained as my eyes wandered across the field, I saw nothing, only my comrades standing in the same position like him.

"What is it?" I asked

"You can't feel it?"

"No, what is it?" 

"The air's lighter, I think the tailed demons are disapearing."

"So does that mean that they were successful?"

"Yes."

"But doesn't that mean that we won?" I asked, my heart skipping a beat

"No, there's no sign that the Kages are done fighting. But the dead shinobies aren't as numerous as before either." he explained

"I wonder if our part in this war is over? Or is it just the calm before the storm?" I mused

"No way to know that." he answered

"I know. I'll be on my way." I replied politely, walking away as silently as I could manage.

+++++{}+++++

{Days Later}

I watched the familys reunite with their loved ones from a lonely little bench, I watched in silence when pregnant women showed off their potruding stomachs to their proud husbands. Little girls jumped into their fathers arms, while squeling in joy and jubliation. I felt my eyes burn, but what hurt the most was the ache and longing for the type of contact I was watching. What it almost reminded me was of days when I would see a happy family while I would be running an arrand or something, and I would pass by watching and aching for the love that was present.

"Can I join you child?" a familar voice asked

"Yes Grandmother." I replied, scooting over to give her room

"Thank you child." she said, sitting down slowly, "Are you okay?"

"If being okay is wondering what happened in the 2 years I've been gone."

"I know, it's only natural for you to think that way." she answered

"I know. How did you get here anyways?" I asked

"We were requested for the clean up."

"Oh,"

"I forgot to give you this," she said, holding out a small evelope 

I took it, sticking it my pocket I asked, "Are you okay on your own?"

"Haruna, you think an old lady like me has no support. You go live your life."

"I didn't even tell you anything. It's like you found out that I'm getting married or something." I said sarcastically

"But just promise me."

"Okay."

"Haruna. Don't let others control your gifts and blessings. If you don't want something, say so, make  yourself heard."

"I know that there are people who want it, I know some see me only for me gifts." I answered

"Make good decisions child." she replied, standing up

"Grandmother! Where are you going?" I asked

"Haruna, I still have to work, and then I need to go home."

"Goodbye!" I said urgently

"Farewell."

She walked as fast as her old and tired limbs could carry her. I felt a weight lift off of my shoulders, knowing that she was safe and sound. Reaching into my pocket, I took out the note that she gave me. Opening it slowly, I thought about the chances that the note would be something positive, which were much lower than the chances that it would be negetive. I read it slowly, since I was still unsure about the language. Reading it for a second time, I felt something drop deep into my gut.

The words were written with a shakey hand, and the paper was wrinkled where sweaty palms rested on it. It said, "You are required to present yourself in front of the Kages for an evaluation."

I folded the note gently, then I stuffed it into my pocket as I made my way through the happy crowd. After wedging myself between the groups of families, I managed somewhat to escape the crowd. And to specifiy how I 'somewhat' escaped the crowd consisted of mumbled 'excuse mes' that would do my mother proud.

"Hey, you." I heard someone say, touching my shoulder gently

I turned around, startled at the human contact, "Me?"

"I didn't get the chance to say thanks." she blurted out, 'she' was a petite brunette wearing a sling with a infant in it

"Thanks for what?" I asked nervously

"Melting my chains." She whispered in my ear

"Um...well, your welcome." I answered

"They made you fight, didn't they?" she asked

"It was part of my sentence." I replied

"What sentence?"

"I'm not the girl I seem to be, okay? I did a lot of things that I regret doing." I snapped

"You don't have to get all defensive, you know? I was just thanking you for saving me." 

"Your welcome." I replied politely, stiffly; walking away quickly

I made my way to the place where my things were, ignoring the crowd I left behind. My eyes burnt a little, and my heart ached because of the loneliness. But, beyound the feelings of saddness, I felt nervous. This would be my first serious 'evaluation', not being able to go to high school for long enough to actuallly experience finals.

But, how hard could one teensy little evaluation hurt?

++++{}++++

So sorry for not posting soon enough. Life has been acting like a jerk, and I've had to study for finals. Actually, what I should be doing is studying, not reading Homestuck and watching a television show called 'Class of the Titans' (im finished the latter).