Prologue AKA: Missing

I sat in the small two-room apartment building my older siblings Derek, Laura and I got. I was reading one of my favorite books on our small, black couch. Waiting for my brother to return home from wherever he went.

My brother and I are the only ones left of my family besides my sister Laura and uncle Peter. Peter and I were the only ones to survive the fire in my families home. The only reason I survived was that my Uncle Peter grabbed me and we tried running out of our flaming home.

*Flashback*

I was 10 years old when it happened. I was hanging out with my family, our relatives came over and we were having a get-together. My parents called me out of school for the day since I wasn't feeling very good that morning. I had this bad feeling that I couldn't shake no matter how hard I tried. That feeling lingered for most of the day but I didn't know why I was feeling the way I did at the time.

We were all having a great time, laughing, relaxing, enjoying ourselves. That was until the room began to be engulfed in flames. The large flames rolled across the ceiling and walls, burning everything it touched. Sucking up every bit of air as it grew larger and larger by each passing second. The lights burst from the intense heat that struck them, Sparks flew and glass shattered every which way possible. The small light they gave dying down to nothing, leaving only the red glow of the flames.

My family, everyone I loved was being burned alive. Their screams rang through the loud crackles of the fire. I screamed out for them, tears flooding my eyes, the thick smoke engulfing my lungs. I watched helplessly as I saw my whole family crumble to the ground in a matter of seconds, burns scattering their lifeless bodies.

"Mom! Dad!" I screamed as I saw the orange and red flames engulf them in their weak states. I fell to my knees as I watched my parents, and everyone else I loved dies right there with my own eyes, knowing that there was nothing that I could do to save them.

Hot tears streamed down my face at the sight as a pair of strong arms wrapped themselves around my tiny body and lifted me up off the ground. It was my uncle, Peter. I looked back to the place where my parents once stood alive and strong. "Momma......Daddy" I squeeked out, my voice breaking when I called out to them looking over my uncle's shoulder at their unmoving bodies.

Wanting so desperately for them to get back up and be fine. For them to run over and hug me and comfort me, telling me that everything would be okay, but they didn't move. They continued to lay there in the hot flames that proceed to eat away at their charred flesh.

"It's Okay, Dakota, it's all going to be okay." My uncle soothed. We both coughed wildly from the heavy amounts of smoke that filled the whole house, intoxicating the once fresh air, secluded having no-where to go, much like me and my family. The stench of burning flesh merged with the dark clouds of smoke that occupied the air.

He held me close to him as he tried desperately to find an exit that wasn't covered with a huge wall of fire, but there was none. I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my face into his shoulder hugging him tightly, crying.

There was no exit, no escape where we wouldn't get hurt, we were trapped like rats in a poison infused maze. He decided to take a chance and ran through the thick wall of fire to get us safe outside. Using his side to crash into the burning wood hoping we would go right through the weakened structure limiting the damage that would be done. He tried to cover me as best he could but in the attempts of getting the two of us outside to safety my legs got badly burned.

My injuries weren't even a quarter of what my Uncle Peter had. He just laid charred on the dirt as I laid next to him whimpering from the pain and coughing, both of us unmoving. I look up to my uncle and crawl over to him as fast as I could with my injuries, which wasn't fast. Ignoring the pains of protests that erupted throughout my body. "Uncle Peter?" I question looking at his smoking body. Tears formed in my eyes yet again as I searched for any sign that he was alive. "Peter?" I ask again getting no answer.