Chapter seven: 'Why is there a lapis statue of you in the courtyard...-

title continued: -and why is there a tree growing in our dorm shower' and other reasons Martyn shouldn't be allowed near certain objects after 11pm - a novel by Toby Cottrell.

Martyn Littlewood stood up on his desk chair, stretching towards the ceiling,

He balanced precariously on his tiptoes, his green t-shirt hitching up a bit to reveal his pale skinned stomach, his fingers twitching and straining to reach the rooftop. Tiny suction cups were taped to these fingertips.

Duncan stood directly below him, his gaze narrowed as he stroked his chin and watched the blond boys efforts.

"Come on Martyn, stretch a little farther. You're almost there."

Martyn nodded compliantly, his mop of blond hair bouncing up and down as he replied, "Right, sure thing mate." There was a beat of silence, and then: "Er, what is it we're doing here again?"

"Finding out if it's scientifically possible to walk on the roof, of course," Duncan stated, as if that was the most obvious thing in the world. This statement brought several snorts from the other students, who were currently gathered in homeroom awaiting Mr Notch; watching the scientist and his test subject's endeavors. Duncan chose to ignore them.

"Is walking on the roof even possible when, you know, gravity exists?" Ninja Desseau sat in an entirely relaxed position at his own desk, seated between ginger-haired Sparkles and dark-haired Jordan.

"Stick to music," the scientist responded somewhat dryly. "Because you clearly don't understand much about the art that is science. The point is to drive experiments, figure shit out-"

"Blow shit up," Rythian muttered to himself, bony fingers drumming against his desktop.

"Nah, mate's got a point," Sparkles piped up, stroking the ginger fuzz that was sprouting on his chin. "Walking on the roof really doesn't seem that logical."

"Do I tell you how to sing?" Duncan perked a blond eyebrow in the music trios direction, hand coming to rest on his hip.

"Actually-" Sparkles began, but the look Duncan shot at him shut him up. He held his hands up submissively, waving them around as if he was trying to regain balance. "Fine, fine, ignore me. Conduct your experiment, defy gravity, all that cool shit."

Duncan rolled his eyes at the other boy before turning back to Martyn, who had actually managed to reach the roof and was currently hanging by the suction cups attached to his fingertips.

His jaw pretty much dropping, Duncan screeched, "IT WORKED!" He looked positively elated.

"...To be fair, that's not really /walking/ on the ceiling." It was Lomadia who piped up this time, fiddling with the string of her owl hat with one hand and clutching Xephos' hand with the other. The brunette snickered softly, bending down a bit to nuzzle his face into the crook of her neck. "He's more, like... hanging?"

"Yeah Dunc, he's just hanging." Minty waved her hand at the two boys, squinting her sky blue eyes; an amused smile painting her face.

"Oh for the love of god, will you all just shut up!" Duncan growled softly, the excited grin disappearing for a few brief moments as his arms crossed, glaring at his classmates.

"Duncan..?" Martyn began, but before the scientist could reply, Rythian had beckoned him over. "Is it Martyn?" The boy whispered, to which Duncan replied with an even more frustrated hiss. "Will you just DROP it, Rythian?"

"Duncan...?!"

Kaeyi, sitting beside Toby in the back of the room, raised one hand, twining strands of her pale pink hair around the fingers of the other. "Duncan, I appreciate your scientific efforts, truly, but I do have a question... how are you planning on getting him back down?"