Chapter one: Monotony

Rythian sat back in his seat, a bored sigh escaping his scarred lips as he scratched the back of his head.

Boredom.

The classroom was silent, save for the sounds of the teacher as she scrawled the days lesson on the chalk board, and his own breathing. Rythian watched the teacher with interest, taking in the way the chalk seemingly glided across the board, leaving neat trails of snow white behind it. Such precision.

"Ready for the day, Mr. Enderborn?" The teacher remained facing the board. A smirk passed over Rythian's lips, amused that he could get the teachers to make casual conversation with him. It was early; about half seven, and the room was empty of any other students. This was not at all an unusual practice for Rythian. He tended to get to class before anyone else, and he enjoyed the peaceful moments of lonely bliss that ensued from this trait of his, being able to spend time without his fellow students, if only for a short while.

"I s'pose." He replied casually. "Nothing out of the ordinary is planned for today, is there? Just going to be another low-key boring day in Tekkit High, as usual?"

The teacher lay her chalk down.

"Oh, I don't know about that." She turned around, staring at Rythian. "Life is rarely the same, though at times it may seem to be. It is an ever-changing practice." She straightened her attendance sheet neatly on her desk. "Keep your mind open, Rythian. Life is an adventure. Don't just settle for monotony. Keep your eyes open for a change"

*****************************************

At approximately 7:58 A.M, the classroom door burst open, and his fellow students flooded in.

It was somewhat interesting to observe. His classmates always seemed to come in all at once, like a wave, a surging mass of human bodies. Rythian had puzzled over this observation for awhile now- why didn't they just move in single file? That would be much more orderly.

Rythian often wondered if he was the only person with any sense around here.

First through the door came Lomadia, as predicted. An honours student with an owl hat, she was never tardy. Owls. Madia was obsessed with them, and one of her constant companions was a plush owl named Mr. Owl. Rythian wasn't quite sure why she was so obsessed with them, but to each their own.
Right behind her was her best friend Nilesy, a Scottish lad with thick black hair, glasses, and the mentality of a crazy cat lady.

Ridge entered after Jordan and Sparkles, without a (perfect) hair out of place, smelling of his stupid expensive cologne with his stupid snobby nose in the air. Rythian wished he could tell him that he looked like an extremely preppy douche at that moment in time, but such a snide comment would only lead to further conflict, and Rythian wasn't in the mood for that right now. Maybe later.

Minty, a cheerful blonde with an attitude skipped in beside Zoey, whose red hair was tied up in a ponytail. When she saw Rythian she lit up, waving bye to Minty and skipping towards him.

"Mornin' Ryth!" She chirped cheerfully, to which Rythian nodded and smiled, trying not to let on to the fact his heart was currently pounding faster than shots fired from a machine gun. He wasn't exactly the most talkative teenager alive.

Zoey's older brother Teep came in behind her, immediately shooting a dark glare at Rythian from under the brim of his faded green hoodie, which Rythian returned. As usual. Rythian figured it was because he admittedly had a thing for Zoey, and Teep didn't like it, or Rythian. Whatever. The feelings were mutual.

A few more students flooded in, and then Rythian saw him. Eyes narrowing, he growled, a sour taste rising in the back of his throat as his gaze settled on the teen.