I surrender

Chapter Fifty Five

I fought the bile rising in my stomach as the stench subsided minimally; I daren't look back at the angel's corpse as it slowly rotted.

Instead, I sank backwards, fully expecting that the stone slabs behind me would catch my fall, and I would be subjected to sweet oblivion until the memories faded from my head. The fact that I had so narrowly escaped death again wasn't enough to hide the fact that Lucien had saved me - again.

How many more attacks would I have to endure before I would finally embrace death? I knew, without a doubt, that I wouldn't have survived so long if not for him. I couldn't protect myself; couldn't escape from both heaven's assassins and hell's love. I would have to embrace just one; death or life.

All this I realised, as I fell backwards and his strong arms wrapped around me, holding me close to him.

I think I blacked out again. The next thing I knew, my body was lying along the ground; my head was resting on his lap as he tenderly stroked my forehead.

"Shh," he traced my lip with a thumb as I began to protest, trying to force myself up and out of his arms. "It's alright; everything's alright."

How could I still want to be close to him, knowing everything about him as I did? Repulsion and attraction to him were strong forces; rather than cancelling each other out, they preyed on me, pulling me apart.

I glanced up into his eyes, afraid I would see the blackness that had enveloped them. My worry was unfounded; blue mixed with brown remained. I realised with a start that this, killing his own kin, was not a new concept for him.

I pulled myself out of his arms; my skin barked against the loss of his warm embrace. An embrace of eternal fire, he wanted to give to me.

"You'll be fine, sweetness," he stood with me, though I turned my back from him, trying to hide the silent tears streaming down my face. I couldn't bear for him to use that term of endearment when everything was falling apart around me.

I couldn't bear another attack like that - I feared him winning and I was terrified he would lose. More than that, I feared my own death; feared the Divinus that held sway over Azrael and despised Lucien. Would they await me, once I was no longer living?

Azrael's words also intrigued me. I was to bring the exsul back to heaven. That was my destiny, but also my doom. It was a mission that had been set out for me since my conception, but I still had the choice of accepting it.

I realised that this moment was pivotal, and I almost snorted out a laugh. I'd thought the biggest decision I'd have to make this year was deciding which government party to vote for. It paled in comparison to this.

All I could say for certain was that Lucien wanted me to live. He had always been there, protecting me against all danger. A startled laugh burst from my lips as another cascade of tears dripped from my eyes. Only I could have had the devil as my guardian angel.

"Hey," Lucien touched the sides of my shoulders gently, tugging me back to him. "You can trust me, sweetness."

I began to cry harder, so he turned me towards him, wiping my tears away with his thumb; allowing me to fall into his arms and sob hysterically. Laughter and tears had become so mixed up; I couldn't tell which I was more consumed by.

"Trust me," Lucien beseeched. "I will take care of you. Nothing like this will ever happen to you again."

I couldn't answer as another torrent of emotions choked me, forbidding me to speak a word.

"Give yourself to me and I will protect you," he murmured into my ear. His promising words slid into me like poisonous snakes. I was powerless next to him. Being in his arms was like being in warm water - I knew I could move away, but I couldn't summon the desire to.

"Mercy, let me have your soul and I will keep you safe," his voice betrayed a little agitation behind his calm. "We will be together for eternity, sweetness. Nothing will ever hurt us."

I squeezed my eyes tight, desperate for another option to appear. I wanted the future he promised; life with the boy I loved, even if it meant burning every chance of the eternal happiness lark. We could create our own, being bound together for eternity. The only other option was to sacrifice my life, keeping us apart forever.

"Mercy," Lucien breathed.

I pressed my lips tight together as I nodded. "Yes," I murmured. "I'm yours."

The End