Dying Divinus

Chapter Fifty Six

I didn't get very far, and Lucien didn't try to catch me, which I was grateful for. I found myself turning into a little side road, where bushes concealed me from sight. I sank to the ground, letting my tears blind me to everything but my own feelings.

Once my tears had run dry; my feelings numbed. Without thought of what I was going to do next, I stared around me.

I sat at the top of three shallow stone steps, before me there was a pebble road; just visible through the misty air around me. I appeared to be at the edge of some kind of courtyard, surrounded by gothic architectural structures, each standing independently, like Stonehenge. This had to be another vision, as I hadn't noticed any of this when I sat down.

Though I had been tempted to explore, any incentive burnt out as I made out a figure, materialising in the mist. Fear gnawed in the pit of my stomach as the figure strode forward and I began to recognise those features: the tall, hulking build; the beautiful yet terrible face, right down to the hands that had almost destroyed me.

My fear reached its peak when he turned his head to the side and I caught a glimpse of the tattoo behind his ear.

Azrael stepped out of the enshrouding shadows, but it was not the smart, well dressed Azrael I recognised. His shirt was torn; his trousers, moulded to his muscular legs, were ripped almost to shreds. He seemed to walk with a limp in his right leg; his left shoulder hunched forwards, pulling his head forward and down. The most noticeable change to him was the most majestic pair of wings I'd ever seen. Crumpled and broken, the left was bent to an angle that looked unnatural. Silk-like feathers - that should have been set to the massive structures like scales - were crushed. Barbs split apart from the rachis. Azrael's eyes were blackened; his lips purpled and bleeding a little. There was a dark mark along the side of his face, coupled with more, shallower grazes covering his cheek.

But it was his body that bore the worst injuries. He looked brutalised; as if someone had set a pack of dogs upon him, before flogging and crippling him. It was amazing he could still function, walking towards me. I was ready to bolt, but he held out his hand to stop me.

"Mercy," he murmured, "the key to all heaven. Look upon the wretched and be not afraid."

His words once more confused me. I stared up at him, trying to understand him. Last time we had been in such close proximity, he had almost succeeded in killing me - so why wasn't he trying now? I was alone, vulnerable, and easy prey.

But, I realised as the angel Azrael approached, so was he.

"What happened to you?" I found myself asking.

"My punishment for failing," Azrael intoned, mournfully. "These are wounds that you, Mercy Falle, have caused. These gashes you see upon my body are gashes upon my spirit. I will never heal."

"Who did that to you?" I asked him. I briefly considered trying to heal him in the same way I had healed Arielle, but I kept my distance. I didn't want to give him any advantage over me.

"I am sure you already know," Azrael replied, sounding a little bitter. "You, who have betrayed your brothers. You know exactly what you have caused. You knew the Divinus would do this to me."

"All I know is that you've tried to kill me," I retorted, my anger rising. "I think these few meagre scratches are just punishment for your crimes."

Azrael's stared at me, stunned. "You have no idea what you're saying, girl."

"I'm done with the mystery, Azrael," I gritted out. "Not everything has to be cloak and dagger. Who are the Divinus?"

Azrael's look was calculating. "I can say only this much: they are a ruthless group of immortals - no, more than that. They are the original, most high-ranking archangels that were ever created to guard the earth. Their power is second to none but God himself. Their name quakes fear into those who oppose them."