You again?

CHAPTER TWELVE

So it will be at the close of age. The angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous.

Matthew 13: 49

Cain had excellent timing; the second I'd handed the phone back to Susana, I spied Debra emerging from the shops at the other end of the car park.

"How did Cain get my number?" Susana demanded.

I shrugged at her: "Doesn't everyone have your number?" I retorted snidely.

She glared at me; opened the car door and got out to help Debra carry the two shopping bags. However, it soon proved that Susana had an ulterior motive. I saw her talking to Debra, whose face became alarmed and then stony. She must have mentioned Cain's plans.

When my foster mother got back into the car, she immediately said: "I don't want that boy here, Mercy."

I scowled at Susana, smiling smug and broadly as she returned to the car. She raised her eyebrows quickly at me, shooting a sickly-sweet smile.

"Traitor," I mouthed. Debra obviously thought the matter was closed, but she didn't know me very well.

"He just wants to make sure I'm alright," I argued.

Debra sniffed disdainfully: "I'm sure he does." She dug in her pockets for her car keys.

I sighed heavily. "I've told you it wasn't his fault."

"I'm not convinced," Debra retorted. "I don't want to discuss this any longer."

"Well, if you won't believe me, why not let him explain his side of the story?" I protested. "I'm telling you he wasn't involved."

"Mercy, leave it." Debra said shortly, but I saw her hesitancy. Having failed to uncover specific details from me, the prospect of finally hearing the information was tantalising, even if she had to hear it from the person she believed culpable. She spent the short journey home pondering the idea. She said not a word except to mutter occasionally. I took that as a good thing.

However, her attention was swiftly diverted once we'd turned into the hotel car park and she saw something parked in the space she normally occupied by the garages. It was a new car, both as a guest, and fresh from the manufacturers: a white Mercedes.

Debra parked with an anxious rapidity, eyes never leaving the customer's car. Though the vehicle held little interest for me, I was soon enthralled by these new guests. Like Debra, I was unable to keep my eyes from them, watching as they exited the car and headed towards the hotel.

Azrael and Raphael wore similar a similar style to the suits I'd seen them wear the night before. By daylight, when I could see them more clearly, they appeared even more attractive. Then I noticed the scar on the back of Azrael's head - from the middle of his scalp, and disappearing underneath his collar. It was jagged, like a shard of glass, and so old it had almost turned silver. Wondering how he'd got it, I quickly scanned Raphael, to see if he had something similar. But no, the darker haired man bore no wounds.

The two carried no luggage but a single bag between them, which looked rather more like a briefcase than anything more capable. I perused that for a moment, wondering if they'd simply left their bags in the car, or if they didn't intend to stay for long.

Debra, determined to express her hospitality, hissed at Susana and I to collect the groceries. I didn't complain as I took my share and followed Susana round the house to the rear pantry entrance. My head was spinning with colourful thoughts - most of them far more extravagant than could ever happen. If Azrael and Raphael could give testimonies about what had happened last night - Debra might actually believe them.