Haunting

Chapter Thirty Eight

For judgement is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgement.

James 2: 13

Lucien sighed and patted Denny's shoulder. His hands were now mostly clean, and he reached out for me. I almost keeled over into his arms, but he held me upright and supported my head on his shoulder.

There was nothing said between us for a moment; I didn't know if my vocal chords could even function, let alone form coherent words. Lucien was calm, or at least he appeared so; I felt a tense undercurrent in his muscles, contradicting his quiet demeanour. What he had done had troubled him.

I wasn't sure why I'd expected comforting words when he opened his mouth, but the words he spoke instead caught me off guard: "You know you're going to die, right?"

Shocked, I stared up into his heartbreakingly beautiful eyes, just visible in the moonlight. He watched me without emotion, while I tried to collect myself before I said something stupid.

When I remained silent, he continued; "They're not going to stop until you're dead, Mercy."

"First off - who are 'they'?" I prised myself from his embrace, taking hold of the wall for support.

It was his turn to look uncomfortable. "It doesn't matter," he snapped. "Point is - sooner or later, they will succeed in killing you. What are you going to do about it?"

"Well... I ..." lost for words, partly due to the unexpectedness of this conversation, and partly because his eyes tied my heart in knots, I crossed my arms firmly and glared at him. "You shouldn't be out here."

"Neither should you," he replied smoothly. "But the way I see it, you should be damn grateful that I am."

"You'd be surprised what I can survive," I retorted angrily. "I've handled way worse than that idiot."

He gave an almost inaudible snort, but other than that he gave no response. His eyes dragged up and down my body and a blush rose to my cheeks. I hoped it was dark enough that he couldn't see it - and that he couldn't hear the sudden increase in my heart rate.

"What are you?" he asked abruptly.

"Excuse me?!" I uncrossed my arms, letting them fall limply to my sides. He stepped closer, and the air seemed to warm around me, making me realise I'd been shivering this whole time. He took hold of my arm and heat enveloped me.

"You can't be just any human," he muttered, using his hold on my arm to turn me around slowly. He ran his hand over my shoulder blades as though he was searching for something on my back, and I felt his gaze heavy all over me - like he was inspecting me.

"What the hell are you doing?" I yanked my arm away from his grip. He saw the shock in my eyes and took a careful step back. I felt cold again.

"My mistake," he said silkily. "I thought you were something more special."

After everything he'd said, and how he seemed to be negating it now, I realised how stupid I'd been to even believe that he'd wanted me in the first place. He was a better liar than I thought.

"Sorry to disappoint," I didn't let him see my pain, turning on my heel.

"Where are you going?" he demanded.

"As far away from you as possible," I shot back.

"Is that how you generally react to someone who just saved your life?" he called after me.

I ignored him. The last people who'd saved my life tried to end it the next day.

"Mercy!" he called, louder.