A Prediction

Chapter Forty

Therefore do not pronounce judgement before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in the darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.

1 Corinthians 4:5

I followed her out to the car park, but Arielle's car was already on the road. After a moment of standing there, trying to figure out what the hell that had been about; I figured I should ask for directions to get back home.

That proved unnecessary, however. As I started off down the road, a black car stopped beside me. I would have continued walking, but the window was rolled down and Lucien called me: "Mercy."

I stopped, closed my eyes and groaned in frustration. "What exactly, is the definition of a stalker?" I think that was the closest representation of our situation.

"Well, the Wikipedia version is unwanted or obsessive attention by an individual or group toward another person," he replied, not skipping a beat as he opened the passenger door for me.

There were many things I wanted to say to that, but the only one that could find its way to my lips was; "What kind of person quotes Wikipedia?"

Lucien chuckled: "Most students, actually. Get in, I'll drive you home."

I stared at the open door for a long moment. "I think I'd rather walk."

"Really; why?" Lucien stared at me.

"Well, you've rather missed my point," I reiterated. "You're stalking me."

He smirked. "Mercy, it's only called stalking if the attention is unwanted - and I don't think it is."

"I think you're delusional," I retorted, hoping against hope that I wouldn't start blushing.

His smirk became a grin. "Delusional or not, I'm offering you a ride."

I started walking again, but he kept pace with me, driving forward with the car door still open. It struck me that unless I got in the car; he would continue to drive like this, all the way home. Driving, at my pace; heedless of all the traffic and road rage he would cause.

I stopped; so did he. "Fine," I huffed, getting into the car. His smile could have lit up the night sky.

"How did you even know I was here?" I asked.

Keeping his eyes on the road, he replied: "Arielle was rather obvious about it."

"So you thought it was your responsibility to come pick me up?" I raised my eyebrows.

He chuckled. "I'm not sure what you're implying, Mercy. I'm merely a good citizen, doing a favour for another good citizen."

"You're so full of shit it's no wonder your eyes are brown," I threw back. Actually, I hadn't quite decided exactly what colour his eyes were, and that kept me occupied for several seconds, before he replied.

"Alright, I have another agenda," he confessed. "I want to take you somewhere."

"I haven't signed up for that," I replied. "You said you'd just take me home."

Lucien shrugged. "You have to learn, Mercy; I can't be trusted."

"Lesson learned," I gritted my teeth. "Where are we going?"

He turned off into a side road, heading through a small hamlet to the edge of the main road. "Someplace I know we won't be disturbed."

I frowned at him. "We won't be disturbed here," I argued.