Glacial

Chapter 14

Kelsey's POV

        The weeks slipped through my fingers, the month of December approaching quickly. Harry and I spent most days laying around or exploring parts of the city unknown to either of us.

        Men dressed in Santa costumes line the streets, promoting local charities and posing for pictures with small children.

        I, however, keep to myself as I make my way to the gym. My arm is nearly healed, although the same can't be said regarding my face. I lost count of how many times the stitches had split open after hearing some of Harry's ridiculous jokes.

        I'm welcomed into the gym by the warmth spilling from the radiator. Jacob shoots me a friendly smile, Ryan standing next to him.

        "Kelsey! What a surprise! It's been, what, 3 weeks? Your face looks wonderful. Whoever gave you that black eye sure has good aim." Ryan gushes at me, sarcasm laced in his tone.

        "Ha Ha," I fire back at him, "What are you doing here, anyway?"

        "I came to hear your final plan, seeing as my target will no longer be around next week." He continues to smile at me, a devilish look spreading across his face.

        "I'll be sure to get back to you on that."

        "Oh no, no, no," Ryan begins to mumble, "Kelsey, please tell me you aren't falling for the boy." He swipes his hand across his forehead, fanning his face.

        "I just think this needs to stop, Ryan. He's a decent human being, unlike you. Even me." I plead with him.

        Ryan approaches me slowly, Jacob eyeing me wearily. Cold sweat covers my hands, the clamminess making me shiver in the heat of the gym.

        "Must I remind you of my promise?" I continue to stare at the ground, "Don't think that I won't kill you just because I trained you."

        Anger rises inside of me, "Oh, right, you're going to kill me? Whatever you say, Ryan." I back away from him, turning to face the door.

        A sharp blade presses into the lower portion of my back, threatening the thin fabric of my shirt. I steady my breathing while standing still, frozen.

        The realization that he never saw me as a daughter settles into my mind, replacing the anger in my system with sadness.

        "I should've known you care about no one aside from yourself." I laugh dryly.

        "And I should've known you are a coward." The blade of the knife begins to cut into my skin. I let him push the blade further in, knowing he has more to say. "I hope you were able to kiss loverboy goodbye, I'll handle him on my own once I'm done with you."

        I embrace the pain shooting throughout my body, clenching my jaw repeatedly.

        "Enough!" I scream, stepping forward, away from the knife. Blood seeps through the fabric of my shirt, my head becoming dizzy. "I'll do it," I whimper, "I'll kill him."