chapter 23: The Lost Pawn

Chapter 23

THE LOST PAWN

Two weeks later, Sahara disappeared. It was not that I noticed her absence. I was avoiding her, right? Ayoko siyang makaharap. Hindi ko pa kaya kaya hindi ko hinahanap ang presensya n'ya. And totoo'y mas nakakahinga ako nang maluwag na hindi nagkukrus ang landas namin sa Rapsodhee High.

But then I heard Mr. Hontraver and Miss Meira talking this morning. The latter said Sahara was missing for eleven days now. The last time I saw her, she was outside the cafeteria. That means 'yon na rin ang huling araw na nakita siya sa school.

I wasn't bothered though because I didn't think something bad happened to her. She was Sahara, disappearing and reappearing was her thing. She could beat the superheroes who use teleportation, to be honest. That's how good she was. She's here now, then she's gone. She was doing that trick for many years now kaya hindi ako nag-iisip na baka may masamang nangyari sa kanya. Besides, she was the Legendary Queen. It was worthless to be bothered.

Yes, I hated her for lying to me, but she was still my mother and I was still her daughter. The bond between us was undeniable. Of course, it would hurt me kung totoong napahamak siya... worst, kung patay na s'ya, because despite the hatred, she's my family. Losing her after Tiarah would be the end of my race.

I closed my eyes and opened it again as my phone rang. I lazily took it out from my pocket and answered the incoming call.

"Yes," I said.

"Temple." It was dad—my fake dad. "Kahapon pa kitang tinatawagan. Why were you not answering your phone."

His voice was a little bit different. Dune Strawford was a happy person. He laughs a lot, even at a dog chasing its own tail, he would die laughing. Hearing his serious voice now was making me uncomfortable.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Are you?" he asked back.

Silence fell.

He already knew, I thought and I was not talking about Sahara pretending Tiarah. Of course, Dad knew it was his wife, Tiarah, who died that evening. That's why he cried a lot. It was not a secret between Sahara and him and I wanted to give him a hug for playing the role of my father. He really did a great job because he was good to me even after Tiarah was killed. He didn't change.

He already knew... I meant he already knew that I already knew the truth. Maybe Sahara called him. How else?

"Temple, I'm sorry—"

"Stop," I whispered. "I don't really want to talk about it, dad. Not today."

"Okay. But... you are still calling me dad. Why?"

"Because why not?" I heaved a sigh. "You are my father, right?"

He knew what I meant and I absentmindedly smiled when he laughed like an idiot. Kahit hindi ko siya nakikita ay alam kong para siyang batang tumalon kung saan man siya nakatayo at mukhang may nabasag pa siyang kung ano.

"Shit."

"Tell me it's not my antique collections." I just suddenly recalled my four centuries-old crafts. Those were displayed in my room and knowing dad, he always visits my room before calling me.