The Genie is Finally Free

By: Elise Bertrand-H

It was great being able to spend time with Wade, Mark and his brother. They were really awesome guys. The boys stayed over well into the night and left very early in the morning. Tom promised he would drop by with the younglings and the wife some time. But for now, he was going to leave to our own devices.

I woke up earlier than usual with a hang over. Never really got much sleep after drinking. Mark was snoring softly away next to me, topless. It seemed he always liked to torture me with his assets. I kissed his brow gently and left the room. The coffee maker was calling, as well as some bacon. Nothing like greasy food to cure a hang over.

Once my coffee and bacon were ready, I made my way to my little heaven in the corner of my living room. There, my laptop awaited me. My cover needed a little bit of editing. I made myself comfortable and got to work. I tried my best to fool around with the accoustics to make my voice sound a little better but settled with the original recording. There's no sense in altering my voice. 

Next was the thumbnail. It wasn't all that hard to do but I am not the best at photoshop. I got Mark to take the picture of me while I had my brown cosplay contacts in. He was pretty good at taking pictures. Once everything was all put together, I posted the video on YouTube and left my laptop. I was in the mood for a Disney movie this morning.

I got my old VCR player out and hooked it up to the TV in the living room. Before putting Aladdin in the player, I made sure the volume on low. The last thing I wanted was to wake the loveable idiot up. I had a feeling, though, that he would kill me if I didn't. Mark loved Disney movies.

A Friend Like Me came on and I sang as quietly as I could. I was laughing and singing along with most of the music. And before I knew it, the movie was over. I stretched out tired limbs and made my way back over to my laptop. The processing was done and I watched the video for the umpteenth time and it was the same as it had been a few hours ago.

Knowing that there was nothing else I could do, I closed my laptop and took a seat in my comfy chair. I curled up with a nice book and read for a few minutes. That's when my phone buzzed. English, mother f**ker, do you speak it?! called out from my pocket and I knew Ricky was texting me. I pulled my phone out of my robe pocket with a flick of my wrist and read what he sent me.

(Queue Music)

Ellie... I'm so sorry.

I replied:
What for? What's wrong, bear?

He sent:
You didn't hear?... Your Uncle Robin passed away. It's all over the internet. I'm so sorry, Ellie. I'll be over as fast as I can. 

My heart dropped. A knot twisted in my stomach. Tears welled at the back of my eyes. There was an ache at the back of my throat. I couldn't help the sob that escaped my lips. My hands flew to my mouth in attempt to cover up the sound. Mark was still asleep and I didn't want to wake him. My heart was ripped in two. I knew for a while that my Uncle had been struggling with depression but I didn't think it would be this bad. I mean, this was Robin Williams... He was a beacon of hope and laughter for so many people. He bounced back. He always bounced back... 

I couldn't begin to wrap my head around the fact that he was gone. This had to be a joke-- this had to be a cruel joke. There was no way he was dead... just no way. I shook my head back and forth quickly and fumbled with my phone. Susan had to know. I had to call her. She would tell me that he was alive and it was some popular hoax.

The phone rung twice before she picked up. There was silence as I tried to compose myself. "Is it... is he...?" I couldn't bring myself to say the last word.

It took her a moment to reply. "I'm sorry, Eileen... I'm so sorry."

"No... NO! You're LYING!" I screamed into the phone. But before Susan could say anything further I ended the call and hurled the phone as hard as I could across the room and I heart it shatter in the kitchen. My lungs forced out an agonized scream and I threw anything in my reach at the wall. 

I grabbed my coffee mug and was about to hurl it at the wall when I felt a strong hand grab my wrist and spin me around. Mark was there, his bagged eyes alert, glasses missing. He took the mug from me and I felt all the fight go from me. He caught me in his arms as I felt my knees give out. Sobs wracked my body. 

"Sarah," he said trying to keep his cool. Mark lifted me into his arms and sat down on the couch, holding me close. "Sarah-- Eileen, what's wrong?" 

"He's gone," I sobbed into his chest. "My uncle R-Robin is gone."

"I'm so sorry," he said as he held me closer, kissing the top of my head. "Tell me about him. Who was he? Focus on the good memories about him."

Once I had finally managed to get a small control of my crying, I managed to talk. "I remember when he brought me to his house to watch one of his movies. He was the voice of the Genie in Aladdin and I loved that movie, worshipped it and the Genie. My uncle was always making me laugh and he was like my dad growing up. We were really close. Whenever we got together, we always sang the songs from the movie. It's one of the best memories I have of him."

Mark was silent for a moment and I looked up at him. That was when the light dawned in his eyes. He knew exactly who I was talking about, now. His grip tightened a little more on me as I continued to cry. I felt his lips on my forehead and he whispered, "The Genie is finally free."

And I began to sob all over again.

In Loving Memory of Robin Williams. 
I have no words that can express the sense of loss I feel from his death. My tears, however, speak volumes. Robin Williams was an amazing man. He was genuine and taught us so much during our childhoods. One of the many things that I can take away from him is that laughter is the cure for almost any ailment, including sadness. 

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times
If one only remembers to turn on the light”
-Albus Dumbledore.

Let us celebrate the life of an amazing man. 
Rest in Peace, Robin. You will be missed by all who loved you. 

 Author's Note:
Please know that although Robin is dead, he isn't free. He's just dead and it truly is tragic. Anyone who is having a rough time, please know that death isn't the answer and it isn't the way. You can get better. I've had a lot of rough patches in my life and if I can get out of it, I know with every fibre of my being that you can too. I believe in you. Just hang in there, you beautiful person. You can do it :)