Chapter Seven

When Simon came out of his room, Penny and Agatha were sitting on the sofa watching a movie. He had still had that stupid smile on his face and he couldn't seem to get it off. He couldn't contain his excitement for the next night. He never thought that he would want to go out with a boy, let alone be this excited about going out with a boy, but there was something about Baz that made his heart flutter wildly in his chest. He wished he could tell Penny about him but knew that he wasn't ready for that conversation with her. He wasn't even ready for that conversation with himself. 

Penny paused the film. 

"Who was that?" Agatha asked. 

"Was is the girl?" 

Simon nodded. His stomach turned into a knot. He wasn't sure he could keep lying to his best friend, but he didn't see another way out of it. 

"Oh, from the coffee shop?" Agatha asked, crossing her arms. 

"Did you tell her?" Simon asked as he sat down on his favorite chair.

"Yeah, it's just so exciting! I was wondering when you'd get back out there," Penny said. 

Simon rolled his eyes and checked his phone. He had a text from Baz with the specifics for the date.

Hey, how does The Five Fields at 8 sound? xx

Simon smiled and shot back a quick reply.

Great. :) See you there! xx

"Is that her again?" Penny asked.

"Yeah, just saying where we'll meet for our date."

"You're making her pick?" Agatha asked.

"Stop it, Agatha. I think it's sweet for him to let her pick. Where is it?"

"Uh, The Five Fields?"

Simon could have sworn he saw Agatha's eyes bulge out of her head. "What? Can you afford that place?" 

Simon frowned, realizing that he didn't know what the deal was with the payment. Two blokes, he thought, which bloke pays?

"Is it quite expensive?"

"Very expensive," Penny agreed. "That's where Micah took me for our anniversary." 

Simon didn't know what to say. Since Baz was the one who suggested it, was he supposed to pay? Or would they split the bill? Or would Simon have to pay for it all? He started to feel nervous. He really didn't have any money between his school bills and the rent, and he wasn't sure he would be able to go to such a nice place for a date. He had forgotten that dating cost money and that he didn't really have any these days. 

"Should I ask to change the restaurant?" 

"Or just cancel the date," Agatha muttered. 

Penny kicked her lightly. "Maybe. I mean, you two might split the bill. Since it's a first date and all." 

"Maybe I'll just ask. I don't want this to be an issue or embarrassing, you know?"

"I think it'll just be better if you're honest with her," Penny suggested.

Simon agreed and pulled out his phone to straighten this out.