5: Getting Even

Christian's POV

It was time for the last class of the day, art. I hadn't seen Rose since lunch and this was our last class together for the day. My siblings were made aware of the situation I was in, but they hadn't met Rose yet and they weren't sure what was going on that was making me feel this way. I knew that having them in class with me meant they could help me keep my cool, but I also new  I would likely be endlessly tormented for sharing my feelings with them. Nothing could be hidden though, with our mind link, our closeness in age, and having all the same friends, I couldn't even have an opinion without them knowing about it and either challenging me or affirming me on it, especially my sisters.

As badly as I had screwed things up with Rose, I was still grateful that Alexander wasn't at school today. One way or another he would've found something that I was doing wrong with Rose, I know it. Or worse, he would've advised me to make things right with Ashley so he could get to know Rose himself. Either way, I knew that having him here would've removed what little control I felt I had over the situation.

I watched everyone file into class and my stomach started to turn when I saw Rose didn't walk in with Alice. She was staying far away from me, so I had no idea where she was. I needed to talk to her to explain myself and this was my chance to approach her where she couldn't avoid me.

The last group of students walked into the classroom and a couple of individuals after that, but no Rose. I was worried because I had checked in with some other pack members in our friend group and she was in her classes after lunch. They said she hadn't been late to anything all day. I knew she had me showing her around and walking her to all her classes before lunch, but this was last period and I hadn't seen her since the incident with Ashley.

Then the bell rang.

Seconds later Rose walked in, with James. He carried her bookbag in one hand and held the door open for her with the other. I wasn't sure if her intention was to get back at me for the situation at lunch, but if that was her intention, then it was definitely working. James was the center of attention a lot in school. He hung out with all of the athletes and was well known in the community for his sports performances. He was even friends with Zander, though they weren't close, but that was the crowd he affiliated with. I already didn't like the guy because he was lab partners with Ashley in her biology class and she admitted to me that he made it hard for her to focus on the material. Then, on top of that, Ashley's best friend was obsessed with him and I had to hear about it all the time while Ashley would just try not to agree. And the guy always had a girlfriend, though he changed it up frequently, he was never without a girl cheering him on at games or out at a party.

I did feel like he was crossing the line with Rose though. He knew her one day and seemed to be trying to swoop in and impress her. They walked to the back of the class together and I watched him wrap his big muscular arm around her small waist to pull her chair closer to him. What confused me was how comfortable she seemed with him. All day today I had been fighting the urge to feel her skin on mine, even briefly, and in the little moments where I would, she seemed so uncomfortable. At first I thought she was just nervous or she didn't know how to respond to me, but now seeing how comfortable she looks with James, I don't think she was just unsure of the message I was sending.

"Alright, go ahead and collect your materials to paint your landscapes," the teacher instructed as she walked out of the room. This class was a waste of time usually, essentially like a study hall. The teacher was never here and after she left, we could usually slip out as long as we didn't all go at once. We did have midterms coming up though and the landscapes were the only thing we had to complete for this class, so everyone filed to the back of the room to gather materials. I noticed Rose and James stayed sitting at a table by themselves in the back while everyone else walked by them to get their supplies. She was talking to him and he seemed to be listening intently. I tried hard to listen to what they were saying, but there was too much chatter in the room to focus on their voices.