3: Irresistible

Christian's POV

Monday mornings always felt so productive and refreshing for me. I suppose excelling in school had become part of my identity and returning to classes on Monday mornings always brought me back to myself. I arrived to school early and waited in my car in the parking lot while everyone else filed out and began socializing. I preferred to keep my mornings quiet so I remained in my car and kept to myself for a moment. At times it felt my social battery drained quickly here; in the pack house it was different. My parents were the alpha and luna so my siblings and I grew up with a lot of attention on us through each milestone. People were always watching so we were always supposed to be on our best behavior and serve the pack and the local community the best we could. It was natural for me honestly and maybe it was in my genetics, but being involved with the pack always felt really good for me. I would likely never be alpha as the second born to my all-so-perfect brother, Alexander, but I was second in line and even if I never served as alpha, I had an important role in the pack by being so close to my brother. So because of our family's position and how we were brought up inside of the pack, it was always of upmost importance that I represented our family well.

With a few minutes before the start of first period I got out of my car and headed to my best class, science. I arrived early and took a seat in my assigned seat by myself. A lot of people saw me as extroverted and social, but the truth was that I loved my alone time and preferred to work alone where possible. That was another reason science was one of my favorites and so peaceful, I was the odd number, so I was the only person without a partner. It was nice being able to keep by myself and not feel pressured to maintain a relationship with anyone in my pack or any humans unless we had a project that actually required partnership when I could join another group.

I got out my homework and started looking over the problems I completed on Friday night so they would be fresh in my mind before the class started. Moments later people started filing in and taking their seats. I heard unusual whispers but tried not to pay any attention. Then before I knew it, our teacher, Mr. Walker, was greeting us with an announcement.

"Good morning class, please welcome our new student, Miss. Rose Garner," he said with a smile as he motioned to a beautiful girl with a small frame and long brown hair. She was clearly uncomfortable standing before the class with such a formal introduction, I could tell by how she was shifting her weight and turning her head not to make eye contact with the whole class as he spoke. But then as he motioned to her she gave the class a smile and a small wave before turning back to our teacher. "Luckily, we had an odd number of students before you arrived so it works out perfectly and we won't have to have any groups of 3," he started. "You can take your seat right here with Mr. Thompson," he said confirming my anticipation that she would be seated by me. "Christian, I have no doubt that you will be able to fill in any gaps that Miss. Garner may have while starting midway through the curriculum," he said to me directly, referring to my aptitude for his class.

Rose took her seat to my left and smiled at me as she sat down. My heart started racing as she looked at me and I wiped my hands along my jeans, unsure of why they were sweating in her presence. I had never gotten nervous like this around a girl before. She was beautiful and a little mysterious to me being considering she wasn't from around here and she moved to our small town. She was human, so that should've relieved my pressure of feeling like I needed to impress her as the alpha's son, but I still felt the need to impress her for different reasons that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Mr. Walker returned to his desk to get the slides pulled up for class and a quiet chatter came over the room.

"Hi, I'm Rose," she said as she pulled out a notebook from her bag.

"Nice to meet you, Rose," I responded honestly. "My name is Christian."