Chapter Thirty-Four: The Real World Comes First

Clarke and I started to get ready for the day once we finally managed to enter the real world once again. We showered, we ended up showering together, but there was nothing sexual about it, just us being touchy and lovey, and happy to see each other again and be able to be so close. It was weird, knowing there was something real there between us. Maybe there always had been. I mean, not in the beginning though, that was all raw and just sex, but once we started to get to know each other, maybe something had started to form because we knew each other better and realised we had more in common than we both thought.

I could already tell things were different than they were with Isaac. There was love there, with both, but this was different. Isaac demanded a lot, he liked to demand I do certain things, like be careful what I say in front of his friends or not dress to sexy for a party. Clarke didn't want me to change or be something I wasn't, he liked me for me...he even needed the person I was.

I scrapped together some breakfast, nothing fancy, just toast, cereal and juice, basically all there was in the kitchen. Clarke was already on his phone as he sat at the dining table. He was preparing for the press conference, it had now been announced so Clarke couldn't back out. He had to go to the office first, get the statement that had been prepared. I could tell he was nervous but I could also tell he was determined to get through this. He had to do it for the company.
"I hope it's not too much to ask if you come with me today," Clarke said as he finally put his phone down.

"I...I wasn't sure you wanted me there," I said slowly. He hadn't mentioned me coming earlier so I figured maybe he didn't.

"I need you there," Clarke said honestly. "I'm not sure I can do this as it is. There's no way I can do this without you."

"I will be there whenever you need me," I promised, standing up to walk over to him.

"I appreciate it, I really do," Clarke said as I got close to him putting my hand on his shoulder. "Wait, shit, what about college, it's Tuesday?"

"Don't worry about it, I can miss a class here and there. Our exams are done anyway, it just classes wrapping it all. I literally finish in like two weeks," I told him.

"Right," Clarke nodded, "and you hear back from law schools soon?"

"Should be this week," I nodded, "but it doesn't matter right now, Clarke."

Suddenly Clarke moved his chair back and moved to grab me around the waist and pull me onto his lap. I was surprised by the sudden movement but liked the affection at the same time. I wrapped my arms around his neck to hold myself onto him.

"You, see, Rory, it's important to me. You're future and you're happiness is important to me," Clarke told me. "This, what is happened right now, it's important. I realised something though. As sad as it is my father died a year ago, I've grieved and for a moment I felt like I was grieving it all over again. Then I realised it doesn't change that, just the circumstances. I can't let it pull me into the black hole I went into when he passed away, because I'm useless like that, and I stop living. I want nothing more than to find who did this, but life has to continue while we work it out."

"I...I know what you mean about the grieving thing," I nodded. "For a second, it felt like he passed away all over again. So I get what you're trying to say, and I love that you care about my future, but right now, whilst I'm still waiting to hear back, it doesn't matter. Next week it can."

"Okay," Clarke nodded slowly. "So I do this press conference for now. Do you need something to wear? We can drop by your place first?"

"I will...but do we have time for that? We haven't exactly been moving at a decent pace this morning," I pointed out, knowing it was getting towards ten. "Is Parker coming? I'm sure he's with Ava. Tell her to come and she can just bring something for me to wear. She'll know what to grab. We need to get you to the office. You've only just like two hours to prepare."