32. Fulfill your death wish some other time

I had some free time after my midterms. Also started working a Password Incorrect update, but I haven't finished that yet. Enjoy!

Sam's POV

"Stop here," I tell Lily. She pulls the car to a stop and cuts the lights, leaning back in her seat. "You're far enough away from the base that you shouldn't be noticed. They tend not to send scouts out this far. So, stay here and stay quiet and if at any point I tell you to get the hell out of here you do it."

"How far is the base from here?" Lily questions.

"Not too far but I still have to hike a pretty good distance," I gesture out the window to the trees. "It's late and likely most of the base is asleep other than the people on guard duty. I should be in and out without a problem." I push open the door and step out into the cool night air.

I turn back to Lily. "If you're spotted and in trouble, don't wait for me. Get out. I'll be able to find my own way back."

Lily shakes her head. "Ev would kill me if I did that." She flashes me a sly grin. "And besides, if I'm spotted, anyone who comes up against me will be in more trouble than I will."

I shake my head. "Be careful," I say.

Lily frowns. "I think I should be the one telling you that."

"There's more danger to you sitting out here than me walking in there."

Lily frowns again, deep in thought. "I beg to differ." She starts to root through the bag she brought with her. "Here." She hands me the small black earpiece. She taps her own ear. "This way I can tell how much trouble you get into, and whether or not it can be solved by me alone or if I'm going to have to call in the cavalry."

I take the earpiece from her. "What frequency are these on?"

She shrugs and digs back into the bag, pulling out a tablet. "I'll pull it up. Why?"

I tap my hearing aids. "I can't wear the earpiece."

She scowls and curses. "I forgot about that." She pauses. "Ev made mention to you using earpieces before though."

"I can't use the earpiece, but I had one specially built into the hearing aids. I just need to know what frequency the earpieces are set to."

Lily nods and then passes me the tablet. "Ok. Here," She says. I adjust my hearing aids.

"Testing one, two, three, twenty-seven-"

"I can hear you, Lily," I interrupt. "Even without the earpieces, I can still hear you."

She grins. "Just checking."

I shake my head and start off into the forest. The only light comes from the moon and it's not enough to get through the trees. It doesn't matter though, I have the path memorized and I make it to the base in no time.

A gun is pressed into my back. "Move, and I'll shoot you," A voice growls. One of the guards.

I turn around anyway lightening quick and twist the gun from his grasp. I toss it to the floor away from him and me.

"Want to repeat that?" I question, my voice a deadly calm. My face I know, probably looks just as deadly.

"Sor-r-ry S-s-sir," The guard stutters. "I didn't know it was you."

"It happens again and you're going to be the one with the bullet in your head," I growl, keeping my face deadly and blank. I almost lose focus when I hear Lily's cackling in my ears.

I push past the guard, punch in the code on the keypad, and enter the base.

"Oh man," Lily says. "You've got to tell me, how close was he to shitting his pants?"