31. It's complicated

So sorry for the lack of updates. I've been very busy with college and my midterms, as well as my job, and just everything else going on in my life. I'm trying my best to get back to a regular updating schedule, but I can't promise anything.

Again, sorry for the late update. And enjoy!

Thirteen's POV

I have to walk over Jason to get into the house.

Devin's standing over him with a smug look on his face while Jason lets out a groan from his unexpected impact with the floor.

"Glad it's not me this time," Zack mutters under his breath as he passes me and walks off into the house.

Jason lets out a string of curses as he pulls himself to his feet and then glares at Devin. "Really?"

Devin gives him a devilish smile. Jason lets out more curses.

"And to think, I actually missed you," Jason says as he glares at Devin.

Devin gets a look on his face I don't understand before he smiles devilishly once again. "That's how you know you hit your head," He states.

Next thing you know, Jason's charging after Devin who's running through the house cackling . . . until he starts screaming as Jason starts catching up.

"I did not miss this," Chase says as he shakes his head in resignation and walks off towards the kitchen. Lily runs in the direction of Devin's screams, phone in hand ready to record the whole thing.

I check my phone again, waiting to see if Zero's returned any of my calls or messages. Nothing. Not surprising.

Really though, he should know that if he doesn't answer my calls I'll just show up at the agency. So, for his sake, he better return my calls.

I hear a crash from upstairs and I wince. I hope they're not breaking anything. Though I know that's a little much to hope for. I can still hear Devin's screaming – which probably means Jason hasn't caught up with him yet – and for the moment the house just seems too loud, too big. So, I slip my phone back into my pocket and walk back out the front door and into the night air. I take a seat on the steps leading up to the front door.

I'm not sitting out here too long before the front door opens behind me and someone steps out. I don't bother turning around to check who it is. His footsteps are silent, and I know if he didn't want me to know he was behind me, I'd never know. He'd never make a sound. He doesn't make a move to come any closer and just stands in front of the door behind me.

I still don't turn to look at him. "You going to take a seat?" I question, and for a moment I believe he's got his hearing aids switched off when he doesn't move or make any reply back to me.

Finally, I hear his soft footsteps and see his figure as he takes a seat on the steps next to me.

"I didn't think Jason remembered I'd trained with him," Sam says softly.

I turn to look at him. "He hadn't seen you until now. He recognized you," I reply.

"Yeah," His tone is off. Kind of like he's thinking of something else. "Did you like your brother?" He finally asks.

I look at him curiously. "Yes. We were very close." I frown. "Unlike me and Lydia. Why do you ask?"

He shrugs. "I never thought to ask before. I never cared then."

"And you care now?"

"I don't know. Maybe. I was thinking about that time you gave me a concussion in the hospital wing of the agency."