A Ranger and a Lady

Another update is here! I hope you enjoy this, and don't hesitate to tell me how you feel about any of it. I've introduced a few new people, so I hope you like it! Vote, comment, fan and thanks for reading! I can't believe that this story has over 400 views already! I'm so excited!

Legolas awoke to the clip clop of hooves and the gentle gait of a horse. He was slumped onto someone's back, riding behind them on the steed, his head pressed into the hard muscles of someone's shoulders. His eyes flew open as he stirred, looking around in confusion.

"Where's Tauriel?" he asked urgently, the events of the previous night flooding back and drowning him in a sea of dread.

The figure in front of him pulled his horse to a stop and turned around. He had likable features with long dirty blond hair that curled around his strong jawline. A large good natured smile spread across his face as he saw Legolas's initial reaction to his savior's appearance.

"Wait, you are no Elf," Legolas exclaimed in confusion and shock at the man who sat before him.

The stranger laughed heartily. "No, I am not one of the shining ones, I am Ranlin, ranger and Elf friend. And this Tauriel, is she your companion? The one with blazing hair?"

"Yes, I must find her where has she been taken!?" Legolas started to dismount but was caught by the arm.

"Hold on! She was rushed back to Rivendell by several of the Elves. We were riding under the stars when we stumbled across the both of you. Her health was steadily declining and I offered to stay back with you. You wouldn't wake, no matter how hard we shook or how loud we yelled and we had no choice but to separate our company. We are on our way to join them right now."

Legolas paused, then settled back and thought. Thought about Tauriel, and if she would be alright, pondered this new stranger, and wondered, was he trustworthy, would his words ring true?

Legolas was startled out of his train of thought as the fine white horse jumped forward and took off at a gallop.

"Hold on!" Ranlin called back with a laugh as the wind whipped through his hair. The landscape flew past in a blur of colors and the last of Legolas's weariness and worry melted away as the early morning light began to bathe the world in golden hues. The wind was cool and caused his eyes to open wide with shock and refreshment. Rivendell rushed forward and before long the stone bridge had been crossed and Ranlin brought the horse to a slow walk.

Far off in the distance an ethereal melody ensued, floating down onto the pathway, filling Legolas's keen ears.

Finally, they had dismounted and as they mounted wide stone steps into a open veranda, Legolas's mind began to stray back to Tauriel. Somehow being with Ranlin had eased his nerves, the man was so down to earth and care free, and Legolas's worry seemed be washed away in his comforting presence. But now he was left to his thoughts, and they clung to the last image of Tauriel he had with a desperation. He walked quickly, passing Renlin and politely breaking through a small gathering of Elves, clad in blue and silver, as he strode down the familiar passageways. He could hear the ranger's heavy footfalls as he hurried to catch up. "Hey! Where are you going in such a hurry?" he demanded.

"To find Tauriel," Legolas answered, staring ahead, his voice strong and void of any evident emotion.

"The silvan Elf? Now, your majesty-"

Legolas sighed and turned around to confront the comforting face. "She is not just a silvan Elf," he insisted. He was not harsh, somehow he found he couldn't be with this fellow, but he meant the words he spoke. "I will see her, I demand it."

Ranlin bit his lip gently, then finally looked up at the Elf and blinked twice. "We have to find Lindir," he admitted reluctantly with a sigh I defeat. "He will know where Lord Elrond and your companion are."

Legolas whirled back around and waited for Ranlin to take the lead before walking quickly to match his pace.

Before long they came across a dark haired Elf, clothed in steel grey, who nearly fainted when they burst into the room in which he was with enough noise to wake the kings of old.

"Where is Lord Elrond?"

"Is Tauriel with him?"

"How is she?"

"May I see her?"

The questions came crashing down on the poor Elf, Legolas's anxiousness seeming to rub off on Renlin. When they finally paused for a breath, Lindir slipped in. "Tauriel of the woodland realm is being treated by my Lord who has commanded that none may enter without his call."

Legolas's face fell. "But how is she? Did we get here in time?" His eyes begged the Elf for a bit of good news, some shard of hope to cling onto.

Lindir seemed to take a moment, choosing his words carefully before answering. "If anyone can help your friend, it is my Lord Elrond."

Legolas groaned at his vagueness and turned to march out of the door, leaving Renlin and Lindir to stare after him before parting their separate ways with a tension filled glance.

Legolas wandered the halls aimlessly before making his way to the gardens, sitting on the edge of a fountain, and burying his head in his hands as he watched the sunlight reflect off of the clear pool, ignoring the sharp pains that hunger sent through his abdomen. He sat there until the sun burned above and beat down on his back with a ferocity that felt as if his tunic had been set on fire. Abruptly a shadow fell over the water and the heat ceased to radiate against his fair skin. Legolas turned slowly just as Arwen sat gracefully next to him. She looked down at her dainty hands. "You must eat, you are weary and the dust of the road still clings to you. Allow the hospitality of my father's home to rid you of your worries." Her voice was low and soothing as she looked up into his blue eyes. He was a sight, indeed. His clothing was torn from being used to staunch blood and bandage wounds and his face was dirty and lined with small scratches from the attack.

"How can I cure my hunger and clean my wounds when she is at death's door?" he asked bitterly. "And the fault is all mine," he added softly.

Arwen put her cool hand to his cheek and turned his face towards her. "Lindir has told me about your eagerness to see Tauriel. You must care for her greatly," she continued slowly. The last words seemed difficult for her to mutter and a sad smile spread across her delicate features.

"She is my dearest friend, it would harm me greatly if she were to be lost."

Arwen seemed to brighten at that remark and she pulled him to his feet, looking up into his deep blue eyes, yet again. "Come, I shall not rest until you have eaten. It has been to long, mellon, I have missed your company. Let us speak freely as we once did and we shall eagerly await news of your friend together."

Reluctantly he consented and the pair walked back through the gardens, their fingers still intertwined, into the house of Elrond.