All is Not as it Seems

Guys, I finally updated. Please comment on what you think, it seriously makes my day when I see that someone is reading. <3

"You have not answered my question, Sir Ranlin."

Weoyn had stopped in his tracks, displaying an increasingly recalcitrant nature.

"I asked you simply why there were two cut lengths of rope, here, upon this riverbank which has only become stagnant in the past moon, in a forest that once burgeoned with life that is now barren!" The young fellow's nerves were frazzled, certainly, but did his outburst house latent truth?

Ranlin took a moment to compose himself before laughing carelessly. "Why should I know of Imladris' problems? Perhaps some troublesome creatures have been damming the water up and scaring the creatures away with their mischief. It is hardly a matter to raise your voice about." His lips curled into a grimace just before he turned away towards the city that was immediately before them.

Legolas slowed his pace to match the sluggish one of his childhood friend. "What is up with you?" he hissed. "Ranlin is the reason we are out of this situation in the first place, just a absurd coincidence is all it was! Rather daft, isn't it?"

An inane laugh issued from the prince.

He had no sense of suspicion! No special realization of danger or mistrust. He hadn't the skills necessary to deal with this mystical attack. Weoyn, however, had become apprenticed to a master of magic (unbeknownst to Legolas). A perfect prodigy, he kept his ability hidden though he was to be sent to learn under Elrond should times have been ideal. So while Legolas was strong in body, Weoyn was adept in the field of emotion, thought, and conjuring.

Weoyn halted: "You aren't well," he pleaded earnestly. "Nothing about this situation adds up. We have trekked for days on end, to say nothing else of the multiple journeys you yourself have made, and all for what? A simple mistake made by the wisest in the land in a fit of insanity? Where is your competence? Has love really made such a fool of you with its drowsy spell, or am I to believe that you would willingly follow this sorcerer to the slaughter house?"

Legolas looked at him with empty eyes for the first time in the long history of their acquaintance. It was a glazed and glassy stare.

"Why are we standing around wasting the precious day granted us by the Valar?" called Ranlin, pausing a moment and breaking the stillness. A moment's contemplation. Then: "Legolas, I wish to speak to your friend; perhaps he will find me more amiable when I am not so fervently marching onward. "

The elf nodded. "I shall go on ahead," his tone dropped, "try what you must, he seems to be truly mad. We cannot have him upset Lord Elrond's health."

Twenty paces guaranteed Ranlin's conversation would not be overheard, Legolas would not intrude. A steely gaze made known the ranger's intent. A firm returned stare informed him that Weoyn already knew.

"Go back to your king."

"Under what consequence?"

Silence.

With a deep, controlled breath, the young elf stepped back. Turning and beginning to walk, an arrow notched on a raised bow was unable to be detected until it had buried itself in flesh. The tremble of ground caused by the falling of a slight figure was indistinct among Ranlin's now intentionally heavy footfalls.

"Ghastly business really, having to let him go. He seemed he would have a fit if I did not send him back." He had caught up to Legolas once more. A pause for dramatic irony. "I should think the prince would find more suitable companions."

"Yes, yes of course-" as Legolas began to look back, a hand pounded his back jovially.

"Not to worry! You'll soon find friends who will last - not abandon you in the end. Furthermore, they shall be of nobility in the house of Elrond, not commoners; befriend people who are worth your while!"