A King's Call

Legolas stood perched in the high branch of a tree in the dark, foreboding forest of Mirkwood. He gazed down at the floor of the clearing that was now littered with the carcasses of freshly slaughtered spiders. His chest rose and fell with huge, controlled breaths, struggling to keep up with his burning lungs desperate need for air. After a moment he dropped down from the slender limb with the stealth of a shadow.

One by one the other warriors flew gracefully from above, forming a group in the middle of the clearing. Weapons were hastily cleaned and tucked away for later use. The only sound to be heard was a breath of wind that had broken through the dense canopy to gently caress the weary guards' faces.

A minute later, as if on cue, a slender shape plummeted from the sky, landing in a crouch in front of the line of assembled elves. A lock of blazing hair fell into a female face only to be flicked away impatiently. She carefully considered the group, pausing a moment before speaking.

"You fought well today. Mirkwood is honored to have such admirable protectors."

Legolas sighed to himself as he listened to Tauriel's compliments "she does this everytime" he mused, silently. "Wait for it..." He thought, not at all surprised when Tauriel continued.

"However, I do have a few notes..."

Legolas couldn't help but turn away with his arms crossed and roll his eyes as she started at the opposite end of the line, critiquing and noting each little flaw in the day's combat. No one escaped without a good piece of criticism.

Legolas waited, being the last one in line, looking off into the distance, the impatience of youth plaguing his mind.

Finally, Tauriel stopped in front of him. But to his surprise, in lieu of her habitual swift remark; she paused. He turned to face her, his arms still crossed, lifting an eyebrow in mild curiosity. He could feel the eyes of the others drilling into his side, but he kept his eyes on Tauriel, who would not meet his gaze.

At last, she lifted her head confidently and spoke, her strong voice echoing against the hollow shells of the dead trees. "Your technique is flawless and your execution, perfect," she declared, matter-of-factly.

Legolas's arms dropped to his sides.

"There is nothing more I could teach you." Her words held a weight, full of significance that could not be fully grasped due to her sudden change of action. "You are all free to go," she turned and announced, as though she had said nothing out of the ordinary.

Legolas turned to leave with the others, confused though he was. Tauriel stayed in the clearing, unmoving as the warriors dispersed, one by one, Legolas being the last. She called after him at the last moment. "Not you, Greenleaf..."He stopped dead in his tracks, then turned around slowly.

"Yes?" He answered, not sure of what to expect. She stood over fifteen feet away from him, but Legolas's feet remained planted firmly in the ground.

Her air of superiority seemed to disintegrate around her as her clasped hands were unfolded and fell at her sides.

Legolas relaxed. Tauriel had been a good friend of his for a long time, and he disliked the awkwardness of her being over him (though, of course, he was the prince). It always made him feel strange to have her give orders that he was obligated to fulfill. He could see the struggle in her eyes as she scolded and gave advice, in a manner far from friendly.

But all that fell away now, and Legolas felt comfortable, seeing her as an equal and not as a leader. He stepped forward: four long strides and he was three feet away from her, awaiting her reply.

"I spoke to your father, Thranduil, yesterday" she began, now meeting his gaze thoughtfully.

"Really? What did he ask of you?" he inquired.

"Nothing, actually. I went to him. To discuss you." Her voice was steady, but Legolas could sense an underlying emotion. Happiness... Satisfaction, perhaps? He pondered this as she spoke. Abruptly, she stopped.

"You didn't hear a word I just said, did you?" She asked with mock, disapproval.

"Wha-what? Oh sorry," Legolas said sheepishly. He had been so caught up in details (and that happened more often than not) that he had missed her answer."I'm listening now, I promise."

She rolled her eyes. "I asked if you could lead the group with me!" she said impatiently.

"Wait, really?" He questioned, suspiciously.

A vigorous nod.

"Well... What did he say?" Legolas's voice was anxious and fast. Now he knew what Tauriel had been choking down: excitement.

"I'm not sure I should tell you..." Her speech trailed off, and she turned her head downward, casually kicking the dirt up. He could see a twinkle in her eye.

He crossed his arms. "Tauriel..." He warned.

"Alright, alright! He said yes!" She rolled her eyes as though it didn't matter in the slightest, a smirk dancing across her cheek.

Legolas's face lightened immediately. "Yes!" He exclaimed. "You can finally stop ordering me around!" He gently shoved Tauriel's shoulder. "I am sorry, Mellon. I enjoy your company as a friend, but NOT as my mother." A wide grin was plastered across his face, a hearty laugh filling the empty forest clearing.

"You ungrateful wretch!" She shoved him back, harder, trying to stay angry, but finally giving into the laughter. "It wasn't very fun for me either, you know. I had to watch you like a hawk just to find a seemingly nonexistent flaw to scold you with each day!"

The laughter subsided and an eerie calm came over the wood. "Well, thank you." Legolas finally said, sincerely. She smiled up at him and they began to walk back through forest, that was quickly fading to darkness, to the palace.

As they passed through the main gate, an attendant rushed forwards, pushing through the crowd toward them, long robes whipping about him, giving the young elf an air of importance. He stood in front of them, blocking their path and greeting them with a curt nod. He turned to Legolas before speaking "His majesty has requested an immediate audience with the prince," he declared, in a strong voice, his speech dripping with formality.

Legolas glanced at Tauriel. "I suppose I have to g-" he was interrupted by the attendent.

"The silvan elf's presence is also demanded." He threw an disapproving look towards Tauriel, showing his obvious pride in his position.

"Come, follow me! The king shall not be kept waiting!"

He began to walk briskly away, his head held high. Tauriel and Legolas followed.

Author's note: so first off... If you are reading this, thank you! I appreciate your views and sincerely hope my stories are engaging and entertaining for you! Also I NEED feedback! Not only does positive feedback help keep me motivated to update, I really want to know what you guys think. Suggestions, comments, pros, cons... I want to hear from you!