Shadow and Silence

Legolas was dragged to his room and plopped down onto the bed before he could protest. As he sat up quickly, he heard the solid sound of a bolt being clicked shut. A quick tug on the knob revealed that it had somehow been locked from the outside, unable to be breached.

            He sighed, his voice joining the whisper of air, flowing in through an open window, turning the curtains into otherworldly spirits. There would be no escape that way, it looked over a rocky precipice to the side of the waterfall. Legolas's eyes, however, quickly shifted downward to a strange lump covered in a bit of fabric. It had not been there previously, he could testify to that, so who could have left it?

            The Elf approached it quickly and kneeled down to flip the blue cloak off the top. A piece of parchment lay atop a pack bursting with supplies. 

            I am very shocked and bewildered by my father's behavior towards you today and I feel quite obliged to assist you in your journey and attempt to persuade him against his mistake. I doubt you shall be shown any hospitality at your absence so I've brought ample supplies for your trip. If you meet me a mile beyond the gates tomorrow morning, then I will supply you with a horse to speed the time. Take care of yourself, and I will care for your friend. Arwen

            He smiled to himself. He already had someone on the inside. If Tauriel is cared for, he thought, then I should be able to leave with a lighter burden.

            Legolas found himself able to sleep that night.

            The morning rose long after Legolas. He had prepared himself well before dawn and met Arwen in the dimness preceding sunlight, acquiring the mentioned steed of grey and white.

            "You will come back?" she questioned nervously.

            He seemed distracted. "How could I not?" Legolas’s gaze looked beyond the young woman's features, shadows still clinging to his face. "If you had someone you cared for very much," he began vaguely, "would it not crush you to see that person torn from you?"

            Arwen gulped slightly, "But of course," she whispered. "I suppose I wouldn't know anything about that though, now would I?"

            By the time Legolas turned his head to look over at her, the maiden had begun to walk back towards her home slowly. Staring at her back, he would have had no chance of seeing the glassy eyes accompanying her empty smile.

            The journey was not quite as long as before, due to Arwen's horse, but it felt lengthy and forced and lonely.

            Soon, however, Legolas’s mind began to realize an oddity that had, until then, not been observed by him.

            All had turned perfectly still, silent, void of life. There had been no encounter of bird nor beast previously in the woods surrounding Rivendell, but nevertheless it had been buzzing with fauna and bursting with brilliant flora. Now there was nothing. As if the whole of Middle Earth was holding its breath. No birds sang, no wind whistled, just stillness for days and days... and days.

            **********************

            “You mustn’t cry, it’s of no use and entirely unbecoming,” Arwen told herself as she walked slowly home. Scarlet cloth pooled around her feet as she paused a moment to stare into the east. Orange and gold brushed the sky delicately and warmed her damp cheeks. The colorful winged creatures sang their sweet melody as animals began to shake off sleep and greet the newfound day. Taking a deep breath, the Elf turned on one foot to continue, forcing a smile onto her face. The smile, however, was quickly covered as she was pulled backwards suddenly, deeper, deeper into the forest. Her cry was muffled, her face smothered.

            The birds ceased to sing.

            **********************

            "But, father, you must come!" Legolas hadn't gotten this far into his plan, he hadn't expected Thranduil to blatantly refuse.

            "I have no obligation to one who does not hold me in their trust!" the king roared, in disbelief as much as anger. His friend, his brother, now labelled him as a traitor.

            Legolas looked on in disgusted amazement, shaking his head. "You’d leave one of your subjects to die in the hands of your enemy simply because you are not willing to work out what is surely just a simple matter of miscommunication?"

            "Elrond is not a torturer, no matter how confused. Your ignorance confounds me, for no simple matter could cause the wisest of rulers to act so brashly," he hissed in reply, "there is a shadow coming, it is letting its evil creep through the land, feeling its way into hearts and grasping nooks on which to fasten dominion. If Elrond, one of our highest, can be swayed then Varda save he who is trapped in his household.

            "You're scared," challenged Legolas.

            Thranduil sat back on his throne slowly and closed his eyes. Legolas refused to shift his gaze as his father's eyes flashed open and gleamed, his face showing its hidden mutilation in turn. "Have I no right?"