Darkness Approaches

Thranduil sat in the cool of his palace, his head in his hands, and his eyes closed. He leaned deep down into his throne, abandoning his precise posture for an abnormal half-slouch. A dull thud was beating through his temples. The motion of his pulse matched perfectly with a steady throb of pain, racing through his mind. It was a deep pain, memory ridden and not entirely physical. His soul was troubled. There was no logical or apparent explanation... as of yet. A shadow had seemed to pass over him, blocking the good fortune of Mirkwood and leaving a startling void in its place. The nameless emptiness was undefined, sometimes stronger then others, but always present. It had hit him suddenly, it's evil immediately evident. At times, like now, its influence seemed to pass into the physical, leaving the Elven king exhausted, and tense.

He was sensing the beginnings of the growth of evil spreading over the whole of Middle Earth, though he was oblivious to the fact. Thranduil believed it was an omen, a sign that Mirkwood was in danger. He sensed power but had no way to know the extent of it's villainy. Something kept him from going to Elrond himself, but a sudden urgency was growing on him. He wished to seal the pact between the two domains, in an attempt to ensure Mirkwood's safety in the event of emergency.

A sigh escaped his dry, cracked lips. He had taken neither food nor wine for several days, and would only be coaxed into drinking what little water was needed to sustain him.

A sound from the doors leading into the chamber forced the weary Elf into a seated position. He coughed sending sharp pains through his chest and neck. Mentally he ordered himself to stay in control. Legolas had been suspicious lately due to his lack of attendance and eating and Thranduil knew he would never leave his side if he thought anything was threatening his safety.

Just then, the large doors opened on silent hinges to admit two familiar figures.

Legolas and Tauriel entered the throne room on the silent feet of a trained warrior. Even Elves would have been unable to hear their approach.

The room was dim and candle lit. The minuscule flames threw shadows and dancing patterns of light against the walls. The skylight above was dark with the oncoming dusk. The sweet scent of pine rose from the candles and mingled with the air. Legolas breathed deeply, inhaling the serene setting after a day in the unpleasant forest of Mirkwood.

"Father!" He exclaimed, a smile spreading across his features. His voice was warm and happy and his grin reached his eyes that twinkled merrily.

"Ah, my son." Thranduil rose and threw his arms wide in welcome. "And his lovely companion!" He nodded to Tauriel.

"Father, you do not look well." Legolas stated, suddenly concerned. Thranduil's eyes had dark circles of fatigue under them, and seemed to be clouded over: glassy and empty.

"I called you here for that very purpose, Legolas. For indeed son, I am troubled. I need your help, and your assistance as well, Tauriel." He looked first to his son then to the guard, struggling to keep a mundane expression on his face.

The two warriors glanced at each other in question.

'Do we say something?' Tauriel's eyes asked.

Legolas shook his head slightly, a movement almost impossible to detect.

Finally Thranduil continued. "A treaty must be made with Elrond as soon as possible. I have elected to send the two of you to make the arrangements. Your journey to Rivendell will begin tomorrow with great haste, if you are willing that is."

Legolas was shocked, the journey to Rivendell was known to be dangerous unless you travelled in a group. The orcs and spiders shied away from the large processions but would rarely pass up a fight with a lone traveller on the way.

Thranduil lowered his voice, offering an explanation to his son's unspoken inquiry. "I don't want to worry the people by going myself, or sending a procession. I know it's dangerous but, son, amin sinta thaliolle e dagor (I know your strength in battle).

"I will go, father." Legolas replied. Secretly he was excited to be able to leave and do something different for once.

"And you, Tauriel?" Thranduil turned to her curiously.

She smirked. "I wouldn't miss it for the world."