Chapter 15 - Never Again

Robert was standing next to the wobbly step stool. He didn't want Georgie to fall while she dusted the chandelier even though she'd insisted she didn't need him to help her. He couldn't help studying her braid as she had her back to him. He could clearly see the waves in her hair, and the strands shimmered and caught the light as she shifted her body while she dusted. He remembered when she'd taken it out of the braid and shook it across her back. It'd looked so silky, he longed to touch it.

Georgie interrupted his thoughts, asking shyly, "Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah?" She was going to touch his hair but stopped herself and started blushing.

"Are all the boys wearing their hair this long or just some of them?" she asked in an extra quiet voice. She was looking at his hair when she said it, and the expression on her face was the same as when she'd looked at him working out with weights – it was an expression of wonder.

"No, not all boys," he said. Then he added, "But a lot of my mates have long hair. Of course, they're all in bands or – something –." He was losing his ability to speak coherently because she'd started running her fingers through his hair.

She'd touched his hair before but this time it was different. It felt wonderful to feel her fingers running through it and he closed his eyes. Then he heard the stool shift as her lips brushed his. He put his hands on her waist because he was afraid she would fall. Her lips caressed his, open and soft, and she tasted wonderful. She kissed him softly at first and then slipped her fingers in his hair, pulling him to her so she could kiss him more deeply, more passionately. Her kisses made him feel like he was on fire. He heard someone screaming far away.

Robert woke with a start. He laid there, hearing the terror and agony in Georgie's screams. He told himself he was not going to go to her. It was too risky. But after listening to her for a full minute, he couldn't bear it another second and rushed to her room.

She was tangled in her sheets, struggling and screaming. He woke her, shaking her shoulders and calling her name. When she saw him, she grabbed onto him and he clung to her tightly while she sobbed against his chest. While he held her, Robert felt like he'd been away from her for a month instead of a night, and he never wanted to do it again.

When she finally stopped crying and stilled in his arms with a deep shuddering sigh, he sighed too, so grateful he was with her again, comforting her. She relaxed, molding her body into him, resting her head on his shoulder and he laid his cheek on the back of her head, smelling her shampoo and listened to her slow, steady breathing while he continued rocking her a little. He wanted to make up to her for what he'd put her through the night before.

Now that he was with her again, he could feel how holding her was soothing him, taking away the loneliness and sadness he'd been feeling since the kiss. He bargained with himself while he held her, he would make sure nothing like that ever happened again and everything would be exactly as it was before.

He stayed until he felt her falling asleep in his arms and laid her down gently, tucking her bedding around her. When he got up to leave, she grabbed onto his hand and didn't let go until he'd moved so far away they had to.

The next morning, Robert was awakened by Georgie knocking on his door saying, "You've got new clothes!" in an excited voice.

It was early, much earlier than he was used to getting up. He opened the door bleary eyed, and she was there holding a small folded stack of clothing, looking ecstatic. It looked like there were a couple of pairs of jeans and some plain t-shirts in different colors.

"Where did they come from?" he asked her, completely bewildered.

"I told him you were wearing just t-shirts and your jeans since you came here and he must have decided to get you new clothes," she said. Then she held them out, saying ecstatically, "Look at the colors!"