Chapter 2 - Trapped

When Robert woke up, the bedroom was mostly dark, but from what light was coming in from the half open doorway, he knew the sun was up

When Robert woke up, the bedroom was mostly dark, but from what light was coming in from the half open doorway, he knew the sun was up.  He seemed to have gained full control over his body, and when he sat up, he was surprised his head didn't hurt anymore.  The only residual effect of the drugs they'd given him seemed to be that he felt somewhat shaky.  Or maybe it was because he hadn't eaten in days, he was starving.

He looked around the dim room.  There was a large ornate wooden wardrobe with mirrors in the doors, a large chest of drawers with a gilt framed mirror over it, and the wing backed chair the girl had slept in.  The bed was a large size, and the bedding was much better quality than the linens he had at home.  It was a sleigh type bed, with a solid wooden headboard and footboard, and it was in the center of the bedroom.  An unusual placement for a bed, he thought.  Under the bed was a large oriental rug over a darkly stained wood floor.  He could see chinks of light coming through the gaps in the heavy black curtains. 

He got out of the bed and went in the en suite bathroom.  It was dark in there as well, and he pulled on a curtain so he could look out.  As soon as he opened it, the light was too bright making his eyes hurt so he turned away, leaving it partly open.  When he was done using the toilet, he washed his hands and face in the sink, looking at himself in the mirror.  His brown eyes looked clearer now, but he still looked like hell.  His light brown hair looked especially matted down and greasy. 

He couldn't stand his hair being that dirty, and found some shampoo in the cupboard behind the mirror.  He washed his hair in the sink, dried it with a hand towel, and ran his fingers through it to loosen the snarls, pulling out the curls.  He found toothpaste, and used some on his finger to clean his teeth a little.  He wanted to bathe, but he was too hungry.  He didn't seem to smell too bad now that he'd cleaned up a little, and he needed to find some food. 

He went back through the bedroom, opened the door and stepped out.  The room was too bright and he stood there blinking while his eyes adjusted to the light.  When he could see, he found himself in a large sitting room with doors leading to other rooms.  It was furnished with older furniture, just like the bedroom and bathroom.  There was a high ceiling dominated by a large chandelier. 

A fireplace with an elaborate mantel and an ornately framed mirror above it was on the wall to his right.  A large white couch was in front of it, and the quilt the girl had used was folded and lying over the back.  Two white overstuffed chairs were on either side of the couch facing each other.  The couch and chairs were placed on the edges of a thick, plush pale blue rug lying in front of the fireplace.  Along the far wall were shelves decorated with vases, boxes and other items.  There were dressers and tables scattered throughout the room with lamps and decorative objects on them.  All the furniture in the room looked expensive in an understated way, just like the room he'd slept in.

Directly across the room from him, the girl was seated at a large white desk.  She was sitting sideways to him, sewing something with a needle and thread and didn't notice he was there.  Her dark hair was back in the single braid.  The way she was dressed was a bit of a shock to Robert because it was so weirdly old fashioned and frankly, ugly.  She was wearing some kind of long sleeved shirt that buttoned up to her neck and tucked into a skirt that was long enough it reached her leather shoes.  Both the shirt and skirt were some nondescript grey-blue color, as if they were made from the same cloth.  She must have been doing laundry, because he heard the sound of a washing machine running somewhere.