ENCOUNTER WITH REALITY

She looked at me and smiled as if secretly enjoying to see me in this condition. Anger was boiling in my veins and I could feel my face turning blood red. I glared at her but she maintained her calm behaviour and ushered me in the nearest bedroom, leaving my aunt and Chris in the lounge with their questioning looks. As soon as we were inside she had put her fake mask of kindness away and showed her true personality by the frown on her face.

She gave me a once-over,disgusted by me, as if I was a chewed gum which she wouldn't even prefer throwing away herself. I held the tears that threatened to be streaming down my face any second. Was I something to be hated? Was I useless? I lowered my gaze avoiding her hazel eyes burning holes in me. The room was filled with silence, but for me it was comforting as long as I didnt hear this woman's voice. And then she spoke, making me want to go deaf forever. I felt as if she chewed hatred and was just spitting it on me.

"Grace, huh? Thats what they call you?" She frowned still disgusted by my appearance.

I nodded slowly, not returning her gaze because I knew that the anger and hatred which her eyes held were too much for me to bear.

"What are you? Huh? A useless teen.. Who can't even earn a living? Still being spoonfed by her aunt?" She glared at me.

Was this all she could say? Always making me feel less than a stray dog. My vision got blurry with tears waiting to fall. I felt a teardrop escape my eye landing on the dark red carpet. It seemed as if blood was dripping from my eyes but that didn't matter to this heartless lady standing in front of me. Sometimes I wondered if she really had a heart with feelings. Even a stone must have feelings when compared to her.

"Hey? Stop daydreaming!!" She nearly shouted at me making my ears explode. I looked at her with my face stained with tears.

"What? Are you gonna cry like a four year old. Huh?" She shook her head as if feeling pity for me, but still her each word stung my heart, I wondered if it was bleeding inside.

"Never mind. Lets get to the point. Your father wanted me to give you this before he left" Sorrow washed over her face as she handed me an envelope.

"Left? for what? And where?" I looked at her confused anf took the envelope from her.

She kept silent and started fidgeting with the car keys in her hands. Its then when I noticed her carefully. She looked disturbed and distracted. I looked in her eyes questioningly but she lowered her gaze. I could feel tight knots forming in my stomach. It seemed as if something was wrong or should I say TERRIBLY WRONG. I viewed her in silence as a tear escaped her eye. She looked up and our gazes locked. Her ice blue eyes which always reflected coldness somehow seemed tender and hurt. Was I wrong about this woman? Did she really had feelings? Oh yes, she did! She cleared her throat and by the way she moved it seemed as if she was plucking up courage to say something and then came the words that I would never want to hear.It was the worst thing my ears had ever heard.

"He's dead!" She said still not looking me in the eye. She rushed out of the room and after a minutes I heard the engine roar. I assume she left.

Died? What does she mean? My father died and here my stepmother was paying me a visit making me regret the fact that I was born for what? The envelope dropped from my hand as my eyes popped out in shock.Tears dripped from my eyes making my head spin. I felt abandoned. Left out. Everything grew black and memories rushed into my minds of my beautiful childhood spent with him. We were the most happiest family ever until that one night. My heart clenched at the thought of the night when everything changed. The night my dad got home drunk. Due to that night I lost my family. First my brother, Andrew and then my life, my hope, my everything.. MY MOTHER! And today I lost my dad, not that I loved him. Ofcourse I hated him after what he did to me but there was still a tiny spark in my heart ignited just for him. A tiny spark of hope that got blown away by the air of truth. He made my life miserable but he was the one who told me the meaning of life. I missed his love and care but knowing that he was alive and happy somewhere, even without me, made me feel a bit happy. But now I felt totally lost. He was my only family left in this world. The thought of losing him had always made me cry but now when I faced it its a lot more horrible than what it seemed. I passed out.

The next moment I found myself being carried by a muscular boy to my bedroom. I looked up and my gaze met Peter's emerald green eyes. I clinged to him tightly and in return he tightened his grip on me. My lips turned into a smile but soon dropped when the reality hit me.

He layed me down and sat near me, worry flashing in his eyes. He lightly brushed my cheek with the back of his hand.

"Are you alright?" He said, sounding just like my father.

"Hmm" I nodded.

"No, you dont seem so."

"Yes, I do"

"No, you dont"

"I do!"

"you dont!"

"I don't"

"You do!"

I chuckled loudly at his defeat and he glared at me, when he realised what he just said.

"Gotcha" I smiled

"Yeah yeah. Whatever!"

However smart Peter was he could never win from me. I guess I inherited it from my mother because if father was smart then so should be Peter. No offense! My stepmom isn't that intelligent either. Yes! Peter is my half brother but he is totally the opposite of my stepmother. He is quite friendly and most of the times shy among strangers. It was usually because of him that I visited my father.

"Peter." I whispered as he leaned forward.

"Im listening." His voice came out as a silent whisper.

"I've been going through a lot these days. And now this! No, Im not that strong to handle all this by myself. I feel useless. As if no one wants me to be around." I looked at him wondering if he was listening.

He gave me a reassuring look as if saying "Carry on"

"I dont know what I want. But with each breath I take I feel as if im committing a sin every now and then. And I know Im the worst stepsister ever."

"And what makes you think?" He questioned me raising an eyebrow.

"I last visited you when you were 13. I mean its been 5 years. I never tried to contact you. I cried over Andy but never thought that I have a very special person right next to me. Im so sorry."

I lifted my head and our gazes locked. Even though all this time I've been too lost in everything and never talked to anyone except my friends still Peter was always there for me. Whenever I missed Andrew I found his welcoming arms held open to give me a huge hug.

"Grace, you are the best sis ever." He smiled.

"Really?"

"YES!"

I hugged him and he fell backward with me on top of him. He chuckled and ruffled through my hair as he regained his balance. I moved away and smiled when I saw him laughing.

"You're such an animal!" He chuckled.

"If u say so" I said as I threw a pillow at him and started tickling him. Peter was the most ticklish person ever.

"Oh Grace.. Please stop." He managed to say it between his fits of laughter. I let him go and he took a deep breath.

He looked up and his emerald green eyes just like mine twinkled. I smiled at him. He moved a hand through his blonde hair and chuckled silently.

"You are the best stepbrother ever!" I whispered.

He leaned forward and gently brushed his lips against my forehead.

"I know. So are you." He smiled before leaving my room. I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep

...............................................

Okay guys.. So if u want to read on and know more abt Grace and whats going on with her thn u hv to vote and give me ur feedback.. its not that i keep on writing and u ppl just read and thn not bother to tell me ur views.. So this time im not demanding anything but still please vote..

THANKS A LOT FOR READING

MEEMX KHAN<3<3