Chapter 22

ZOE, June

He was hiding something from me.

I wasn't entirely sure what was going on or how bad the news was going to be when he actually did say something, but I could definitely tell something was up. He was being secretive. He was slamming his laptop shut every time I walked by.

It was really hard to give him his space and not be nosy, but I remembered a conversation we'd had. I made him a promise that I wouldn't press for information. He promised me that he'd tell me everything in time. So I held up my end of the deal, hoping he'd do the same.

"I don't know what to think. I mean, it can't be that horrible?" I said to Skye when we met up for lunch on my first day off that week. Adam was still recovering from chemo so he was napping. Calvin was supposed to drop by when he got off for lunch, so he wouldn't be alone at home for too long. I was going back there soon too anyway.

"I'm sure he'll tell you when he's ready," Skye assured me.

I fell asleep next to him that night and he still hadn't said anything. The next morning I got up really early, before the sun was even up, even though I had the day off today as well. I went downstairs and let Joplin out into the backyard so that she could do her business. I made myself a bowl of cereal, knowing that Adam would probably be asleep for a few hours still. I'd make him some breakfast later on.

I showered and shaved my legs. I did my hair and makeup. I wore cute denim shorts and a new tank top Adam had never seen me in before. It wasn't anything too special, I still looked like me, but it still felt nice to get all prettied up for him. Today we were going out on a picnic date and I wanted it to be special. I wanted every good day to be special, to make up for the bad ones.

I put on some music and started preparing the food we'd be bringing along with us. I'd gone and done some grocery shopping yesterday so the fridge was jammed with all sorts of healthy foods and drinks.

I made finger sandwiches with whole-grain bread. Chicken was good and high in protein, so I made a chicken salad with vegetables he could actually tolerate. Carrots were good. Tomatoes were not. He liked cheese, especially the sharper kind, so I cut up some of those and put the cubes in a Tupperware container. I did the same thing with some fruits.He didn't like anything spicy anymore. He couldn't do too sweet. Most things had to be kind of bland. I also picked up a bottle of red wine for the occasion. I didn't know why. It just felt nice and fancy. I also had a bottle of sparkling cider because I knew he wasn't the biggest fan of wine, and maybe he wouldn't be up for any alcohol, even if it was just a glass.

By the time he came downstairs, it was almost eleven o'clock.

"Morning," he said, his voice still a little groggy from sleep.

"Hi," I smiled and went over to kiss him, my hand lingering on his bare chest for just a few seconds longer than necessary.

"You got some work done," he chuckled, surveying all of my handy work on the counter. A small smirk tugged at his lips. "You going on a hot date?" he wondered.

"Yeah, with a hot guy," I replied mischievously.

"Well, have fun... I guess I'll just... hang out here all day... alone," he sighed dramatically and fell down heavily over the armrest of the couch, spreading his arms and legs out like a starfish as he went.

"Maybe I can take you along," I suggested, walking over to him and kneeling on the thick rug so that I was now level with his head. I ran my fingers over the dark peach fuzz and he tilted his face toward me, eyes closed. I almost expected him to start purring like a cat. "If you behave..." I murmured softly and kept up the rhythmic motions over his skin.