The awakward silence~

It took every bone in my body and all the strength I had left to do the things on the list. Once I finished making Ace’s lunch, a stupid fish I forgot the name of, I asked him for another list of chores, since I was finished.

He looked up at me for a slight second, his mouth full, a fish tail hanging out of his greasy mouth.

What he said next, shocked me a bit.

He motioned for me to sit down beside him. Slowly, cautiously, I sat in the cold, hard chair that gave no comfort whatsoever. I shifted a little, trying to get my legs not to hurt so much.

I noticed in the corner of my eyes, he was watching me curiously, or with pure bitterness and disgust in his eyes.

It was funny, because I looked at him the same way. With pure disgust and remorse. Yes, I admit, he is “good-looking.” But he is a monster, with a manipulative, evil mind.

We sat there for a few minutes, in a heavy silence weighing down my chest to a point where I thought I would slide out of the seat. I began to tap my fingers on the side of the chair to pass the time and help me focus on something else other than the fact that Ace was still watching me, stuffing down a whole fish.

“Stop that,” He demanded, talking about my finger tapping. I jumped a little and looked at him, his face now angry. “It’s annoying.” He said, calming down a little.

I just looked away, beginning to notice how nice the house really looked. Because, you know, I can’t notice things like that when I’m being thrown against a wall and beaten senselessly.

I felt as if the silence was ripping me apart silently and slowly, breaking away everything inside me. It was too much to bare.

JUST SAY SOMETHING ALREADY, ACE.

He cleared his throat, and I realized how tense I was. I relaxed a little, leaning a bit more into the chair. “Do you…” He began to talk, but he sounded off thought, as if in a whole other world, “Do you…like it here?”

I raised my eyebrows, and looked over at him. He was looking at me seriously, closely, waiting for my answer. I began to stutter, not knowing what to say.

Or not knowing what he wanted me to say.

“U-U-Uhh…”

He growled and jumped up off the chair, pushing it back at least a couple feet. “Forget it.” He stormed out of the room, leaving me at the table, confused, and a bit creeped out.

Why would he ask me something like that? Why would he care anyways? We’re talking about the same guy who caused all of the bruises and the bleeding on my weak little body.

Just then, my heart froze, and time slowed. I heard angry footsteps coming back, slowly each step echoing in my head, rattling around my brain. I swallowed the stubborn lump in my throat, closing my eyes, getting ready for the pain and the beating.

But another minute ticked by. I finally gained the courage to open at least one eye. And it wasn’t Ace who was standing there.

It was Brad.